Normal pressure hydrocephalus

runtwoshoes

Oct 9, 2023
Hi, I wondered if anyone has any experience of this? My Dad’s brain scan results have come back and it looks like this is the issue. Now I’ve read about it his symptoms fit exactly, walking issues, bladder control, the confusion and the speed he has deteriorated. Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Angel55

Oct 23, 2023
Hi, I wondered if anyone has any experience of this? My Dad’s brain scan results have come back and it looks like this is the issue. Now I’ve read about it his symptoms fit exactly, walking issues, bladder control, the confusion and the speed he has deteriorated. Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Hi

Yes we have experience of the diagnosis process for NPH. Dad had a shunt fitted in June this year after a considerable wait and persistence. Sadly it has not really had very much of an impact on our Dad and we now have a diagnosis of dementia. It did help with his mobility a little and a few other things like apathy. It seems that NPH was running alongside something else in our situation but I did read a lot of wonderful stories of almost full recoveries so you never know.

Shine the charity is a good source of information, if you are on Facebook there is a group on there for carers as well as discussing diagnosis but largely an American base of people. It seems far more well known in the US as well.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My father had the same only in those days [ he died in 1971 aged 53] little was known about it and the word dementia was never used.

He had stents fitted twice but the fluid continued to build.

I hope treatment has improved since then @runtwoshoes.

My father`s illness affected his speech and swallowing more than anything else and the progression was fairly slow.

I imagine like many illnesses the rate of progression is different in different people.

I hope the stent is effective.