No P O A

Spottydog1

Nov 10, 2022
Hello. My husband has had Alzheimer 's for about 4 years, he is now in a nursing home ,which is funded under section 117. I have never been told about being a power of attorney,and because all our married life(53 years.) I have dealt with all financial things,I did not think it would be a problem. But how wrong am I ! I recently had to get in touch with the department if works and pensions,regarding his state pension, but they have refused to discuss any of my husbands affairs with me. I don't know what to do, I have emailed the citizens advice bureau,but have not ,as yet, had a reply. All I wanted to tell the d o w p,was that my husband was still receiving a state pension and I wasn't sure if this was right. I would be grateful if some advice,over this matter. I have heard about becoming a "deputy" or something,but cannot afford the high fees . Thanks.

try again

Jun 21, 2018
Just ignore it. If the money is going into a joint account , if you can afford it put half into a savings account.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
There's a thread on here about section 117 funding, I'm hopeless at posting links, but while the care is 117 funded as far as I understand, it's all for free.
Was for my wife anyway.
K

Spottydog1

Nov 10, 2022
There's a thread on here about section 117 funding, I'm hopeless at posting links, but while the care is 117 funded as far as I understand, it's all for free.
Was for my wife anyway.
K
thanks for your help.Take care.

Spottydog1

Nov 10, 2022
T
Hello @Spottydog1

You can apply to DWP to become his appointee. This is free, but only allows you to talk to DWP about state pensions/benefits
Thanks for your reply. I have read the link,and I shall telephone the pension department again on Monday ,asking why they did not give me this information. THANKS once again for your advice.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
This relates to health side of things, PoA isn't too bad if you're next of kin, financial PoA is a different thing.
Health as a next of kin you can "threaten" to walk away, surprising how that can work, finance however is a whole different ball game.
K

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
For financial matters, you may have to apply for Deputyship.

Bod

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Just to let you know that under 117 aftercare, the recipient is still able to receive their state pension if that puts your mind at rest.

Last edited:

Spottydog1

Nov 10, 2022
This relates to health side of things, PoA isn't too bad if you're next of kin, financial PoA is a different thing.
Health as a next of kin you can "threaten" to walk away, surprising how that can work, finance however is a whole different ball game.
K
Thanks for taking time to give me the information, all so confusing,have got someone from DWP coming to see me. Take care.