No loo roll in Asda today

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
No shortages at supermarket this morning, shelves stacked high and pallets full of stock at all rack ends, obviously expecting a rush.
All staff wearing masks and separate entry and exit doors reintroduced.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I don't understand it! Here, during the first lockdown in March, stocks of loo roll and tissues got low, but weren't cleaned out, in the big Supermarkets. However, the little Spar in the village had them on special offer! Before the postal service to Australia shut down, we bought toilet paper, unrolled it, and mailed it off to family there, who couldn't get any! My niece had tried 27 shops in 14 days, and couldn't get a single roll. It's nuts. Don't know if any of you heard the interview with the Supermarket manager in Australia a few months ago, when they came out of lockdown? Some guy had bought over 4,000 rolls of loo paper, with the intention of selling them at inflated prices online. However, the online markets in Aus. shut down anyone selling essentials like toilet paper and hand sanitiser unless they were a legitimate, existing, business, and not profiteering. So, the guy was wanting the supermarket to take them back and give him a full refund. Over 4,000 loo rolls and 150 Litres of sanitiser. The Manager told him in no uncertain terms what he could do with his stockpile!

I'm another living in the country, who keeps a very good store cupboard, particularly coming in to Winter. Makes sense, as I don't like driving on icy roads.

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
I've signed up to one of those subscription services for eco friendly loo roll. Can't be dealing with the panic buying!

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
a question if i reserve a slot with bunch of bananas 1 do i go to checkout and 2 when i do the full shop will the £3 charge of basket come off once i do the full order of shopping?

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
I’ve only done it with Asda click and collect and the charge has come off!
On all supermarket sites I think you need to check out to reserve the delivery.
I use ocado and book 3 weeks in advance and put a basic order in... milk , bread, butter etc then top up two days before. At the moment we can still get to Asda once a week as my son helps me. We go on a Thursday, have a sandwich and make an outing of it. Son is back at local uni next week but will still be free for our Thursday outings

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
I’ve only done it with Asda click and collect and the charge has come off!
On all supermarket sites I think you need to check out to reserve the delivery.
I use ocado and book 3 weeks in advance and put a basic order in... milk , bread, butter etc then top up two days before. At the moment we can still get to Asda once a week as my son helps me. We go on a Thursday, have a sandwich and make an outing of it. Son is back at local uni next week but will still be free for our Thursday outings
thankyou

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
a question if i reserve a slot with bunch of bananas 1 do i go to checkout and 2 when i do the full shop will the £3 charge of basket come off once i do the full order of shopping?
Yes, to both. These days, I generally go in to Tesco, because mum's shopping would never amount to the required amount, nor would mine, and I kind of resented the €3 extra charge on each of us.

Wildflowerlady

Sep 30, 2019
Tesco recently changed to a set £1.50 click collect charge it used to vary sometimes was free or as cheap as 50p or indeed sometimes more depending on time/day of week is minimum basket of £25.
At the start of the pandemic I had terrible trouble getting a slot from any supermarkets but Tesco was the first to offer me a slot so I stuck with them. I had one delivery then went onto click collect as store is very close and I can drive to collect it .
I also book a slot add some basics like milk, bread and then go through the checkout to secure it.
Its important to secure your slot as they only give you a set time to go through checkout ( 2 hours ? ) I nearly missed out the other day as got distracted then suddenly remembered I hadn't gone through the checkout and was left with 20 minutes to spare.
At the moment Tesco seems to have good availability to book slots in my area I have one for next week. Its easy to cancel the slot if not needed which I have done a couple of times and just popped to shop if I only need a small amount for either our home or dads. Our Tesco Supermarket is fairly quiet but I didn't go during the height of the pandemic so never did have the waiting to go into store thing with large queuing.
I have noticed that the 2 hour slot to collect shop has now changed to one hour presumably to avoid queuing to collect or enable more slots?. I had never done a click collect grocery shopping before pandemic but I would probably continue to use a bit when all this over especially during winter.
Our shops still had toilet rolls which is good seeing as I get for dads home too and carers use a fair bit on him. I suppose wet toilet wipes might be next on the list to run short?.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Tesco recently changed to a set £1.50 click collect charge it used to vary sometimes was free or as cheap as 50p or indeed sometimes more depending on time/day of week is minimum basket of £25.
At the start of the pandemic I had terrible trouble getting a slot from any supermarkets but Tesco was the first to offer me a slot so I stuck with them. I had one delivery then went onto click collect as store is very close and I can drive to collect it .
I also book a slot add some basics like milk, bread and then go through the checkout to secure it.
Its important to secure your slot as they only give you a set time to go through checkout ( 2 hours ? ) I nearly missed out the other day as got distracted then suddenly remembered I hadn't gone through the checkout and was left with 20 minutes to spare.
At the moment Tesco seems to have good availability to book slots in my area I have one for next week. Its easy to cancel the slot if not needed which I have done a couple of times and just popped to shop if I only need a small amount for either our home or dads. Our Tesco Supermarket is fairly quiet but I didn't go during the height of the pandemic so never did have the waiting to go into store thing with large queuing.
I have noticed that the 2 hour slot to collect shop has now changed to one hour presumably to avoid queuing to collect or enable more slots?. I had never done a click collect grocery shopping before pandemic but I would probably continue to use a bit when all this over especially during winter.
Our shops still had toilet rolls which is good seeing as I get for dads home too and carers use a fair bit on him. I suppose wet toilet wipes might be next on the list to run short?.
thanks wildflowerlady, ive been through the checkout and have til sat 10pm to sort shopping list. all through pandemic i went to the shop and it was only when i couldnt go out of the house i started online so i do it every week but wasnt sure how to reserve without the whole shopping list. hope you and your back are ok today

Wildflowerlady

Sep 30, 2019
thanks wildflowerlady, ive been through the checkout and have til sat 10pm to sort shopping list. all through pandemic i went to the shop and it was only when i couldnt go out of the house i started online so i do it every week but wasnt sure how to reserve without the whole shopping list. hope you and your back are ok today

Hi @jennifer1967
Back is still painful as is my right hand. I had a problem a few months ago with my thumb locking something to do with the tendons. I literally had to snap it back manually as would stay in a bent position. Now my wrist and hand are very sore and ring finger and little finger clicking but thankfully not locking yet I can hear the clicking when I bend the fingers which naturally do just in normal activity. Dr advised before I wear a gadget that holds my thumb straight and take ibuprofen or use ibuprofen gel so am wearing splint again as supports my wrist too.
I hope you are feeling better am thinking of you and get your injection soon. I know to some extent how depressing life can get as felt really bad last year emotionally. I'm feeling pretty miserable right now, in pain and worrying about dad as haven't heard anything further. Dad isn't eating much after his breakfast now not even drinking a lot either and sleepy a lot of the time. I did get to dad yesterday as took him some Cornish rich milk as he will drink that plus another trifle although he isn't eating as much trifle as he used to.. I timed my visit to shop and dads when pain killers at their peak. Partner doing ok and is helping me a bit as I'm falling to bits ?. Take Care ?

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
Because I ordered from Ocado once a couple of years ago I was still on their customer list but couldn’t get a Delivery slot during the height of the pandemic. A couple of months ago I received an e-mail telling me slots were now available so I have used them twice since to stock up on household items just to keep my options open and spend their minimum order of £40 + £6.99 delivery.
Towards the end of last week I started to put together an order as there were items I couldn’t get from my two local supermarkets. When I tried to book a delivery slot for a week ahead there were no delivery slots available for six days and later dates weren’t accessible. I tried every day without success then one morning my dog had me up at 1.30.a.m. to let her out into the garden and I suddenly thought to try for a delivery slot and was able to book one for Sunday evening!
Ludicrous that that’s the time you need to be online booking a delivery. I imagine everybody else was panic ordering again having been told that another lockdown could be imminent.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Although things are getting bad here (cases keep going up), things aren't too bad vis-a-vis getting the shopping in. We are able to just walk into the supermarkets we normally shop at. The only places with line-ups are stores like Costco and Best Buy. Why people are lining up for electronics is beyond me but my darling husband has happily lined up at Best Buy just to look around. Of course, he's the gadget boy.

OH is also giving online shopping an even bigger workout. I very occasionally shop for anything online - mainly used books. I have, however, been looking at magnetic window cleaners, since we're on the 24th floor. Quite interesting, actually.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I do click and collect with Tesco ( could not get a delivery slot in April even though I've had deliveries from them for years) and will be continuing with the service permanently. I have mobility problems so find big supermarkets too difficult now.

I was getting anxious about getting slots so I signed up to the monthly delivery saver deal as I now get an extra week to book ie can see four weeks ahead rather than three for non delivery saver customers. Tesco will repay me in vouchers if I don't spend the full fee (£7.99) each month, I tend to order weekly which is only £6 so get £1.99 back each month - fantastic!

The extra week is not advertised clearly on the web site, it's a bit of a secret but I'm happy to share it with a few friends!

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
We pay for the free weekday Ocado delivery (cheaper than the weekend/Monday one) and as a 'member' we got once a week deliveries during lockdown, which meant we didn't have to leave the house! As we get everything from there I don't mind the membership cost but I do begrudge paying for delivery! Our subscription loo roll arrived but in two boxes, with a sticker saying the larger boxes were in 'high demand' - slightly worrying! My friend in Hong Kong, well used to these situations, told me supermarkets etc will calm down after a couple of weeks but it went on a lot longer than that in March/April - I'm sure because it was the first time we've ever seen anything like it.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Hi @jennifer1967
Back is still painful as is my right hand. I had a problem a few months ago with my thumb locking something to do with the tendons. I literally had to snap it back manually as would stay in a bent position. Now my wrist and hand are very sore and ring finger and little finger clicking but thankfully not locking yet I can hear the clicking when I bend the fingers which naturally do just in normal activity. Dr advised before I wear a gadget that holds my thumb straight and take ibuprofen or use ibuprofen gel so am wearing splint again as supports my wrist too.
I hope you are feeling better am thinking of you and get your injection soon. I know to some extent how depressing life can get as felt really bad last year emotionally. I'm feeling pretty miserable right now, in pain and worrying about dad as haven't heard anything further. Dad isn't eating much after his breakfast now not even drinking a lot either and sleepy a lot of the time. I did get to dad yesterday as took him some Cornish rich milk as he will drink that plus another trifle although he isn't eating as much trifle as he used to.. I timed my visit to shop and dads when pain killers at their peak. Partner doing ok and is helping me a bit as I'm falling to bits ?. Take Care ?
hey wildflowerlady, i know it is hard and pain makes harder and worrying about your dad is harder still, please dont fall to bits. i feel stronger and i can fight to get back up, so can you. hey and your partner is doing ok which is testament to your care. we will get there backs and caring. i had a problem with both my hands. i had carpal tunnel syndrome basically a trapped nerve which made my thumb and next 2 fingers numb. i had an operation to release the nerve. i have now got feeling back. you can do this, wildflowerlady and im thinking of you too take care

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
There's so many things that are unavailable now at Asda that's it's not funny anymore, and usually right after I've added them to my favourites list. It's become so bad that K has now in his luggage things like yeast, Vitamin D and a Tefal frying pan for me because Asda can't be bothered anymore. Sometimes things seem available so I put them in my basket, only for trying to check out a delivery and being told to remove them as they're unavailable. Toilet rolls are more or less gone now, with my usual 24 pack not even showing up in the list anymore. I would buy everything at Lidl if not for the fact that they don't have everything I need and that it feels unsafer as they don't do deliveries, the aisles are not as wide, the hand sanitizer at the entrance is always empty, and not all staff wear masks or wear them incorrectly.

So at the moment I don't find supermarket shopping particularly pleasant.