No Interest

Ernest

Jan 23, 2018
I watched The Dementia Choir BBC1 with Vicky McClure last night and found it fascinating and yet very sad. I cannot get my OH interested in music or anything else for that matter. He's been in his CH for almost a year now and although he seems ok I worry that he's unhappy. When I was with him this afternoon he asked again about coming home saying he hates it there. He says there's nothing to do, but he didn't do anything when he was at home!! I said that he could go for a walk or sit outside but he said he couldn't walk. I replied that he could ask for help but he said that he " never will ask them for help, only you" Am I trying too hard? Perhaps I'm still trying to think how I would be which isn't like that for a dementia sufferer. A lot of his problems come from that with the FTD he cannot stand noise. He doesn't make conversation much and dislikes it if he can hear others talking. He's in his room most of the day just going to the dining room for breakfast and lunch. He doesn't sit with residents who chatter and gets upset if his neighbour has visitors who are chattering. I feel so bad about his situation but don't know how I can help other than try my best to make his life as bearable as I can. It's horrible !!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
He says there's nothing to do, but he didn't do anything when he was at home!!

This is the trouble isn`t it @Ernest. There is a longing for something which didn`t happen.

He doesn't sit with residents who chatter and gets upset if his neighbour has visitors who are chattering

Is there a quiet room at the home? I understand your husband being annoyed by lots of chatter but sitting alone in his room cannot be good for him.

If there is a quiet sitting room I would ask for him to be settled there.