No financial awareness

Jimbob46

Nov 29, 2015
My sister 76 has been diagnosed with dementia. She lives in Glasgow and I in Manchester, has little or no financial awareness at times and overspends and goes into debt. She has a debit card which she uses to get cash etc etc. I have spoken to the bank to ask if they can arrange a card debit or credit which does not allow her to go overdrawn but they say no can do. Any ideas?

Grable

May 19, 2015
The first thing you need to do, I oils say, is to see if you - or somebody else who is close to her - can get Power of Attorney.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
oh dear - this is very difficult with the distance between you. We just took my Ma's card away and gave her a fixed amount of money - ultimately we didn't give her cash at all because she had no idea. Is there anyone close to her that could do this - just say the card isn't working or something as a quick fix to stop this happening immediately again? Does she have a social worker who is contactable and helpful?

I agree that Power of Attorney for Finance and Health and Welfare are going to be very important but it does take a while to go through.

Snapper000

Apr 8, 2014
Money management with dementia

oh dear - this is very difficult with the distance between you. We just took my Ma's card away and gave her a fixed amount of money - ultimately we didn't give her cash at all because she had no idea. Is there anyone close to her that could do this - just say the card isn't working or something as a quick fix to stop this happening immediately again? Does she have a social worker who is contactable and helpful?

I agree that Power of Attorney for Finance and Health and Welfare are going to be very important but it does take a while to go through.

Hi Fizzie
Just reading your post about your Mum and taking her bank card away. I'm just at a crossroads with my Mum and Dad. Mum has been drawing more cash out lately of their joint account but has no recollection of why and what happens to the money - just curious to know what you did once you took the card away - how did you manage her money - my Mum is still able to shop, cook etc for my dad, but I'm not sure how to go about managing her day to day money.
I live on the doorstep and have POA over their accounts, and also have access to their online accounts.
Any advice appreciated. Thanks Tracy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ACampbell