Night time problems

jeanpea

Sep 3, 2023
Hi everyone, my names Jean. My husband was diagnosed with Alzheimers 4 years ago. I think I've coped with the condition OK up till now, but the latest stage is getting me down. It revolves around bed time that's the problem. Getting him to take any of his day clothes off before getting into bed is a struggle. Then he keeps waking throughout the night saying he's lost something but can't remember what it is or else waking me to tell me he loves me. It lovely to be told he loves me, but not every hour throughout the night! I am so tired & feel unable to cope. I don't know where to turn.

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
Hi @jeanpea
Welcome to the Talking Point. Lots of empathetic people can help. Lots of info on the Alz's Soc website to investigate.

You may need to ask your Local Authority Adult Social Services for a care assessment to see what help, if any, your OH needs, and/or a carer's assessment to see what help, if any, you need.

From what you say, you need some respite breaks so you can catch up on sleep. You will not be able to operate as you feel you should if you are continually exhausted. Speak to GP and see if there is any meds that can help your OH get more and longer sleeps at night.

When my OH kept falling, sleeping and waking at odd times not usual for everybody's day and night, then I started to struggle. I got carers to come in to help with toileting, personal care, etc - the idea being that the carers were in fact helping me to to have short breaks here and there through the day that then helped me to feel more relaxed and to cope better. I also have a sitter from Mind for a three hour break one morning a week so I can go out, knowing somebody is with my OH and can cope.

Just my thoughts. Best wishes to you and a virtual hug.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to the forum @jeanpea

Coping with nighttime waking does seem to be one of the most difficult problems and I can imagine how exhausted you must feel. I know some people have managed to settle their person with dementia by having some kind of night time routine and others have just given in and napped in the daytime!

I wonder if separate rooms might be a possibility?

If changing into nightwear is an issue could your husband wear the sort of clothes which could double as sleepwear (E.g joggers, t-shirts and sweatshirts) . Perhaps having a morning carer to deal with your husband’s washing and changing clothes would take some of the pressure off you.

I do feel for you and hope you manage to find a way to deal with this horrible, exhausting phase.

jeanpea

Sep 3, 2023
Thank you so much for your very kind & understanding comments to my OH's sleep problems.
I have tried separate bedrooms to stop being woken throughout the night, but my husband gets distressed & comes looking for me, turning on all the lights, so that didn't last long unfortunately. I may have to ask the Doctor for something to help him sleep more at night. I will look into morning carers as washing & bathing is getting stressful for us both. It's just so sad seeing a loved one loosing all his pride in his hygiene & appearance. Alzheimers is such an sad & tragic & cruel condition.
I'm so glad I found this forum as I no longer feel completely alone in dealing with Alzheimers, just knowing others understand as they are going through the same situation I find myself in.
Thank you so much & sending love to all.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanzi