night sweats etc

firebird

May 11, 2016
My 77 yr old wife has Alzheimer's and also has severe and frequent sweats meaning I have to change her nightwear and try to dry the bedding most nights at about 4 or 5 a.m. As I am 84 this is not an ideal situation for either of us. She also has frequent back ache and pain in the pelvic region. So far visits to various consultants have not identified any cause for these occurrences. Has any other carer met similar or identical problems?

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
Hello and welcome to Talking Point.

I don't have dementia but I also wake up between 4 &5 am if there are too many bedclothes on. At the moment I have just a cotton top sheet and cotton cellular blanket on my side of the bed. If you're still using a duvet, even a summer one, that could well be contributing to the problem. Apologies if this is too simplistic

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Mum doesnt have this, but Ive heard of it several times. Ive been told by one of the relatives that its because the part of the brain that regulates temperature is damaged.
I think putting lighter bedding on would help.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
The other thing that might help and some people (including us ) have found that a couple of paracetamol before bedtime helps settle someone and combined with lighter bedding this might at least reduce the problem, including the pain.

Regarding the pain I would advise you to go back to your GP and continue to speak to him this - I am so sorry, you are really having a hard time

Have you had a carers assessment to get some hours to give you a bit of break - it is worth phoning social services and asking for a carers assessment.

Also if you are not getting Attendance Allowance then you should be - at the higher rate given the night care you are doing. This is non means tested and it is a really useful amount of money to help you with all the extras like the higher electricity bill and maybe some caring hours - I think it is currently at about £80 a week. Give Age UK a ring on their freephone number 0800 169 2081 and tell them you would like some help with filling in the form - they have trained volunteers and the forms are very tricky. Tell them about your situation and they may have some other ideas too local to you.

The Dementia helpline is a useful number to have

Alzheimer's Society National Dementia Helpline 0300 222 1122 can provide information, support, guidance and signposting to other appropriate organisations and may also be useful

Keep posting, lots of support on here