Nice activities to do with my mother

CaringSon

Nov 26, 2014
My mother has early onset of dementia. She is only 65 so it quite mobile, but as her memory is poor, and her confidence is very low I find it difficult to find activities that she really enjoys.

Have you got any recommendations of activities I can do with her? I live in London and my work has just agreed for me to take an afternoon off every week, so I can spend more time with her. I wondered if you had any tips of things to do or places to go.

I know that I need to link it to her interests, but I thought I would try and get some ideas of things that other mother/father/partners with dementia have really enjoyed.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Have you heard of Singing for the Brain? It's organised by AS and is one afternoon a month from 1 - 4 pm including free lunch, at least the one I go to. It has been very well received and is always well attended.

Last edited:

henfenywfach

May 23, 2013
rct
Hi!..I take my dad to the choir..which is for people with dementia and their family or carers..if you havent got a dementia choir near by..try the singing for the brain...the results are astounding...and it lights a flame in them that you thought went out long ago...no one judges anyone..all people are at different stages...and theres kind of an unspoken understanding between the friends they make....its theraputic to carers aswell...I also take my dad to pottery with the alzheimers..theraputic..he didnt have an artiatic bone in his body but now he loves it will try find pictures..

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Talking Point mobile app

Skybird

Oct 24, 2014
Hi. I'm in London too. I take my mum on a bus ride.We ride on the top of the bus .we get on the bus on the start of its journey & ride it all the way to its final destination. It's always a good idea to go on a route that might have some significance or memory jog for your mum...

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Definitely Liberty's at Christmas-lovely. What about tea at Fortnum and Mason and then a walk around the portrait gallery. afternoon tea or coffee at home, you could invite just a few of her close friends. mum and I have just spent an hour potting up bulbs, we went to a garden centre yesterday and bought some decorated clay pots.

xyzdave

Jun 2, 2013
staffs
too young

Hi caring son ,65 is no age ,my wife got it at 57 ,i spend all my time with her ,we are both now 60 ,My theory is laugh and laugh while you can and dont let her see you are upset ,do things what she likes and also things what she sees funny ,my wifes confidence went ,just keep reassuring her that you love being with her ,and tell her that you love her ,I must say your work has been good to you ,where i worked ,they wouldnt do that ,i had to finish ,but enjoy every minute with your mum ,hopefully some of her confidence will come back ,remember she must be thinking whats going on ,and will get more emotional ,cherish every moment with her God bless,
My mother has early onset of dementia. She is only 65 so it quite mobile, but as her memory is poor, and her confidence is very low I find it difficult to find activities that she really enjoys.

Have you got any recommendations of activities I can do with her? I live in London and my work has just agreed for me to take an afternoon off every week, so I can spend more time with her. I wondered if you had any tips of things to do or places to go.

I know that I need to link it to her interests, but I thought I would try and get some ideas of things that other mother/father/partners with dementia have really enjoyed.

Trace2012

Jun 24, 2013
Hi my mam is also 65, she has early onset Alzheimer's and dementia, she's obsessed with the neighbours coming in the house doin things to the house and also hurting her, I have photos of something she sed isn't ours from last xmas, so I showed her them and of course she wouldn't take it, she threatens me every week of moving out, which I used to take very badly but now I don't, I only say ok if that's wat u want, but I sometimes really lose the plot with her when I try to show her that she's rong and the neighbours arnt coming in the house, im stuck at what to say! What do I reply? If I say oh ok just ignore them she says I don't care and if I say they haven't been in she says im soft and can't confront them! Im really at a loss, she won't go out and is ABSoloutley obsessed with all these accusations, she takes excelon patches and mementine tablets everyday, I need advice, just like u, I can cope with everything else but this is really got me depressed on rock bottom, she's also lost far too much weight and won't eat much at all

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
Do you fancy having a go at making a memory book
if you want to find out more I have a document which is downloadable on my web site
creativesarah.weebly.com

Its a great opportunity to look at family photos and chat about them I expect your mum will have some great stories to tell some of which you may not have heard before!

Sent from my XT1039 using Talking Point mobile app

sbrew

Apr 26, 2011
chiswick

We take my mil to chiswick park quite often, they have opera in the park and theatre nights in the summer and we go to see them all, she loves the picnic, crowd, music and remember these events for the hole year, this is our 4th year now and she now askscwhen is the next outing, chiswick house has a lovely cafe and a lovely lakecwith swans and scenery, just a lovely afternoon any day of the week, this earvwe also take her to te Royal albert Hall for Carol singing by candle light - she can not remember what she ate an hour ago but keep asking when are we going, it does makes a difference