Next of kin and diagnosis

Gemmasmum01

Apr 12, 2016
Hi. I am having concerns about both my Mum and my Dad, they both seem very forgetful and tell me the same stories every time I see them. They are also both now making really quite racist remarks, this is really out of character for my Mum, and I am worried if they talk like this in public what might happen. They are both really anti doctors, when I first had concerns about my Dad I went to see our local GP and she said that in order to test for dementia, my Mum would have to give permission as next of kin if my Dad didn't want to take it, now both of them might need the test and neither would want to do this! How do I help them? Can dementia be treated at this stage, neither would be willing to take any form of medicine??

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Gemmasmum, welcome to TP
It's very difficult to know what to do with someone (let alone 2 people) who are both in denial and anti-doctor.
As long as the GP considers they still have capacity then they won't discuss anything with you so unless they chose to go there's not a lot the doctors can do.
It has been known that some GP's will ask people in for a "well man/woman" check as a pretext for looking at their overall health, mental and physical alternatively you can contact social services and ask them to do an assessment of them but this would require them to cooperate, they have to do an assessment once you request on but in reality it would be difficult if they didn't want to play ball.
Sorry I can't be more helpful, others will be alone with a bit more to say I'm sure.
K

Gemmasmum01

Apr 12, 2016
Next of Kin and Dementia

Thanks Kevin, I know my Mum went for one of these "update" meetings at the doctors - then completely ignored any advise she was given and said it was all rubbish anyway! I did ask her why she bothered going in the first place, but she said she just wanted to see what they would say (probably so she could criticise it!)

Gemmasmum01

Apr 12, 2016
I had a chat with my Mum today - I am more concerned than ever, as she seemed not to understand me when I told her about an appointment that she asked me to book for her for an alternative therapy treatment - I even tried in German (my Mum's native language) and she didn't understand that either! Both my Mum and Dad told me stories that they told me before - I am getting used to this now. I think the main problem is that they don't go out much and don't interact with other people or each other - do you think I could get them to go to the local Dementia Friends meetings, would this help? I am hoping that maybe while they are there someone else might spot the signs that they are showing and that might prompt some action.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skylt8