• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can now be found in our new area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

    You can directly access this area >here<.

next move

Lulu

Registered User
Nov 28, 2004
391
Mum was placed into emi nursing care quite some time ago, about 2 years. She has never settled, and has suffered the same torment more or less throughout her time there. She was to be sectioned early on but due to no beds being available assessment went ahead in the Home. Problems have continued and of late worsened and she is currently in a mental health assessment unit where she will be for up to 28 days.

In my opinion the excellent Home she was in won't be an option as her needs could not be met and another place will have to be sought. One place that has been mentioned does not have beds. What happens in this situation? Will she remain where she is until a bed does become available? It is unlikely that her bed back at the Home will be kept for the period of assessment as the pressures are so great and I reallt do wish her to go where her needs can be properly met

Has anybody any experience they could offer please?
 

Roses40

Registered User
Jan 25, 2015
473
manchester
Sorry to offer no advise, I have no experience of this situation so thought to bump up your thread in the hope someone with this experience may see this x
 

fr0d0

Registered User
Dec 23, 2009
186
Mid Wales
My mum stayed in the assessment unit until a place became available. I think this is normal. If she's sectioned then that's an automatic green flag to certain funding so that shouldn't hold up placement. The only worry is that the authorities will look further afield to place her. In my case that was placements over two hours away. We held out pleading that it wasn't in my mums best interest to be parted from her family.
 

Lulu

Registered User
Nov 28, 2004
391
Thanks for responding, the situation remains more or less the same and we await a formal update from the team at assessment re what the plan will be. So many worries now - Mum, the possibility of having to fight for funding all over again, where she will be able to go. We were already travelling a fair distance to the Home we chose having rejected many local ones. I suspect they will wish us to look at local ones again, trying to help us with the strain of travelling to visit. But if we remain unconvinced by going local we shall have to travel much further. It helps to know she may be able to stay put until a suitable place is found - the last thing I need is pressure just now, or even more pressure as it is proving quite a strain.