News of cutbacks on radio this morning

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Our local radio news is informing us that in april the council run care homes will be sold off and confirming that the prices are to be increased by £200 per week. The spokesperson said the reason for the increase was to pay for frontline services.

Love

scarletpauline

Jul 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Helen, I saw it on our local news, which would also be your local news I guess, there was a 94 old lady who said she knew she wouldn't be able to move at her age, the staff and residents were her family now, she had been in that home for 26 years, and she just wouldn't be able to have enough strength in her to move. So sad. Wherever will these cuts end? Love Pauline xx

sunny

Sep 1, 2006
always cut backs for some people, but for others I dont see any cut backs there. Always the vulnerable are affected, but I expect it will be another bumper year for xmas sales and new year sales giving more profits to the "needy".

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Was that a pig flying past?

I think it was flying past. It was on the tv news tonight and they are definitely putting up the cost of council residential care for the elderly by £200 per week. No, not per month. Per WEEK:eek: I listened carefully to what the councillors had to say and it really did seem very unrealistic to me. I am now seriously worried about what is going to happen.

Love

Amber 5

Jan 20, 2009
Berkshire
Do you think this might be to put the costs in line with what is charged for people who are self funding? I've no idea what the difference is - I've just heard that it happens.

I am having to contact the LA in January about my own mum, so no doubt will find out what the LA will pay towards her care and what they expect the 'third party' top ups to be! No one has ever been able to give me any figures in the past.

We sold her house and so now the money is dwindling rapidly, what next? I also have three daughters - one through Uni, one still at Uni and one hoping to go to Uni!
Love Gill x

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Amber,

I really don't know much at all. However, I don't think it will be in line with those self funding a private home from what I have heard.

What worries me is that I know that our S&L therapist works for city and county and is employed for one day per week in this capacity. A S&L therapist ought to be automatically referred to people diagnosed with FTD. It wasn't good enough before. Is it going to improve or is even this going to be cut. I know that physiotherapists are having a very tough time and having to reduce what they do. Carers need respite and it was hard enough to get before and needed improving. Will this improve things or will it make it even tougher?

I wish I had the energies that I once had or what the young students have. Unfortunately, I am burnt out and can't muster up the energy to address any of these issues. I am glad that I'm not having to start out on the caring ladder now. My poor Alan wouldn't have stood a chance of having the life that he had if he was starting out now.

Necion

Sep 26, 2010
Aberdeenshire,Scotland
Thank you all, I'm so glad you are discussing these issues, please keep posting so that people like John & me can learn as much as possible asap.
As some will know, Johns' diagnosis was only last week, so we are indeed on the starting line.

I'm glad I arranged our house extention to cater for 'old age', unfortunately I did not bargain for this! At least (mortgage protection insurance allowing) we hope to be able to cater for the physical side of the later stages at home, but what will happen regarding the 'carer' side of things, if and when that happens, I will have to wait and see.

Do you think the actual carer support services would be included in the 'front line'? I doubt it!
We can't, of course, have the council offices and town centres without their annual floral displays, can we?:rolleyes:?

Love, Necion. x

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Do you think this might be to put the costs in line with what is charged for people who are self funding?

I'd bet my last shilling that charges will go up for self-funders by an equal or greater amount.

It's strange, Gill, no-one will talk actual figures until you put in an application, and have a financial assessment. In truth, these top-ups are often negotiable. (With the home, not the LA. They have to follow their rules).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smattels