News about sitting service

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Did the Social worker ring me as promised? No. I have just rang their office to discover that the Manager did go to panel but she didn't take my case. I was automatically put through to the Manager and we had a lovely discussion.

I said that I was really pleased with the visit from the SW but not at all happy about all the different stories I keep being told and that my trust has broken down. I told her about the times I have been promised phone calls that have not happened.

Anyway to cut a long story short, she really apologised and said she would take the whole matter in hand. She said my requests needed to be broken down into 2 components. The extra hours of a sitting service (ie 5 hours on a Friday and 6 hours on a Saturday) and the in-house weekend respite. The first component she approved there and then and said it doesn't need to go to panel. She will oversee the SW dealing with the necessaries tomorrow in order to get this up and running immediately. Of course Crossroads have to find someone suitable for the Saturdays.

The in-house respite does have to go to panel and she assured me that she would take it next Thursday. She said that I could, if I wanted, come straight through to her but I said I hoped it would not be necessary if she would talk to the SW about not making arrangements that she couldn't keep.

I feel happy and confident that changes will now be made. Then again I can be naive!! We will see.

Love

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
We will see.
We will indeed Helen.

I`m still waiting to hear about my Direct Payments which have been marked as Urgent.
SS will be getting a phone call tomorrow from me too, if I haven`t heard.
It`s not too much to have expected them to have recovered from their long Easter weekend by now, surely. :rolleyes:

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Sylvia

Why wait until tomorrow? It's Friday tomorrow and if action needs to be taken it could mean another week lost. If you rang today, they could take the action tomorrow;)

I forgot to say that I've sorted out getting to the carers support group tomorrow. I cancelled tonights sitter so that I can use them in the morning.;) I am not working this week so I don't need one tonight.

If you do ring, please let me know the outcome.

Love

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I feel happy and confident that changes will now be made

That good to read . I am sure after talking to manger, social worker will get her act together now.

My daughter made a complaint to manger of Social services on the phone,on my behalf about a social worker.
We never saw that Social worker again. He upset me so much that I could not talk the manger on the phone to complain about him .

so my daughter spoke to manger me as I am no good at complaining,when I am upset about something . but I am learning.
My daughter now a qualified social worker, she empower me to know my rights .
It`s not too much to have expected them to have recovered from their long Easter weekend by now, surely.

No its not , My social rang for the 2nd time today . She needed some more information from me .

So hope you do ring them tomorrow like Helen said to

Last edited:

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
I shall certainly know who to come to if and when my time comes with David!! - you seem to have a wealth of experience between you on these matters.

You are so right Helen - if someone says they are going to ring they should jolly well ring!! and that applies to anyone.....

Glad you are managing to sort everything out.

Love

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hi Sue

Ihave very little experience Sue but enough experience to know that things were not being dealt with in a satisfactory manner.

I think one of the hardest things about being a carer is that it requires far too much from us. People that are not naturally assertive have to learn to be assertive. People that are not used to dealing with correspondence and communication are having to learn (and sometimes to degree level):eek: People who are not used to dealing with staffing issues are having to learn about this too. All this learning on top of dealing with very stressful situations.

At least with Talking Point we seem to offer each other the information and support to make these massive changes to ourselves. I had never heard about Crossroads until Hazel mentioned them to me and since then I have never looked back.

Love

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Todays news

I posted about this in Grannie G's thread but thought I ought to post it here as well so forgive me if you get it twice.

After me speaking to the Manager, the SW duly phoned me on time this morning with sincere apologies. She said she was on the case and it would all be dealt with today - done and dusted.
I received another phone call from her, as promised, and it has now gone through. Crossroads rang to confirm Friday 9.30 - 1.30 initially until the sitter can do 9.30 - 2.30 and the Saturday 10 - 4 will start within the next week or two. The w/e in-house respite will go to panel next Thursday. I am convinced that if I had not followed up every missed phone call this would not have happened. There was no need for any unpleasantness at any time. They knew they were in the wrong for all these conflicting messages and I think they were relieved that I was very civil about it all - I just wanted the mixed messages to stop and for them to get on with what they were supposed to be doing.

Love

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Well done Helen.....:)

Politeness and perseverance have paid off!

Now if I could just just rustle up some nice flowers you.....:D

love xx

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
These are for you, Helen...

flowers%20003_640x480.jpg

:D:cool:;):D

Love xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
What lovely flowers. :)

I wonder gigi, if our errant social workers would like some. Perhaps they don`t get many bouquets.

Helen I would like gigi`s and my SW to rub shoulders with yours.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Well done, am so pleased for you .

I am convinced that if I had not followed up every missed phone call this would not have happened. There was no need for any unpleasantness at any time.

Your very right .

I have been on phone today to duty social worker, as it seem my social worker got all my dates wrong for respite .
If I had not phone I would of never of know, she gone on a 4 week holiday.

So now its all confirmed book, duty social worker rang me back today to tell me its all been confirm , care home, the dates I wanted.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Helen I would like gigi`s and my SW to rub shoulders with yours

As long as The "good bits" from Helen's rub off onto ours, Sylvia..and not vice versa...:eek:

I have been on phone today to duty social worker, as it seem my social worker got all my dates wrong for respite .
If I had not phone I would of never of know, she gone on a 4 week holiday.
It's a good job you chased them, Maggie.but we shouldn't have to .

Helen...you have a good team working on behalf of Alan and yourself. Let's keep talking about it...because it proves that the system CAN and DOES work..and gives us hope...:)

Love xx

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Thank you so much for the flowers:D:D I have often sent some but this is the first time I have received some.

Maggie I think that is terrible that the dates were wrong and you wouldn't have known unless you checked. The implications had you not checked don't bear thinking about. My trust levels are practically zero and therefore I double check everything. It might also be my secretarial background;)

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Gigi

Helen...you have a good team working on behalf of Alan and yourself. Let's keep talking about it...because it proves that the system CAN and DOES work..and gives us hope...

But why does it work in one place and not another? The caring issues are the same wherever one is. My SW rang again today and asked if she could visit on Tuesday and bring an assessor with her. I asked what the visit would be about and what the assessor would be assessing. She said it was just to tick some boxes that she was doing her job properly. She isn't qualified yet and it's part of her course. If you think it would be of any benefit generally I could ask them why they are able to produce the goods and not others?

Love

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
She said it was just to tick some boxes that she was doing her job properly. She isn't qualified yet and it's part of her course. If you think it would be of any benefit generally I could ask them why they are able to produce the goods and not others?

But why does it work in one place and not another?

because they is to still many Old school social workers around in the system, that did not need a degree in social care to became a social worker .

Then we can’t generalise all old school social workers the same, but in my experience with them , its never been positive .

She isn't qualified yet

So she must be at university , while working as a student trainee social worker, like what my daughter had to do .

You can read about it in hear .
http://www.socialworkcareers.co.uk/

In the past Social worker did not need a degree, but they change the law few years ago how social worker can qualified to became a social worker .

Last edited:

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
If you think it would be of any benefit generally I could ask them why they are able to produce the goods and not others?

I don't see any reason for you not ask the question Helen...in fact as there's a trainee along it's a good one to ask.

Thankyou...Glad you liked the flowers....:D

love xx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Micmomgram 5