Newbie Hello!

Enzo309

Mar 22, 2024
I lost my mam in early March and my dad is in care so I'm going through their affairs, ready to sell the house to pay for his care. I've lurked long enough without registering so I've signed up for advice etc. Thanks for letting me join.

donkeygirl

Mar 18, 2024
Hi there...had to sell mums house this time last year. Think I just went into automatic pilot and got it done. It is hard and seems very unfair.
I have just joined the forum as way of getting info on stages etc that other people go thru.
My mum been in care home year.
Gradually getting worse and now ,for some reason,sexually accosting a man in the home. Not sure how long they can deal with this. Can see move to a nursing home soon.
Good luck with the sale etc hope it goes OK.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome @Enzo309 I hope you find the help you need on the forum.

There are lots of people who have been through similar experiences to you so just ask and I`m sure you`ll receive answers.

Enzo309

Mar 22, 2024
Hi there...had to sell mums house this time last year. Think I just went into automatic pilot and got it done. It is hard and seems very unfair.
I have just joined the forum as way of getting info on stages etc that other people go thru.
My mum been in care home year.
Gradually getting worse and now ,for some reason,sexually accosting a man in the home. Not sure how long they can deal with this. Can see move to a nursing home soon.
Good luck with the sale etc hope it goes OK.
Donkeygirl, my dad's been in care since 2022. First time me and daughter visited, he was holding hands with a woman walking down the corridor. It was hard to see that but I reminded myself he's not the same person. It's hard at first but sadly, eventually, you get used to it. He still recognises us; smiles when he sees us but he's forgotten our names and I'm not sure he knows I'm still his daughter. My mam was still driving in the Summer and I took her out shopping, for appointments etc.Her deterioration was rapid and I'm still getting my head around her not being here anymore.
The house went up for sale Monday, we just hope it goes quickly. Mam's funeral not until next week ( crem has been being refurbished!). It's all been full on since she passed. The bureaucracy is never ending. Thankfully, I had POA so it made things a bit easier. Good Luck with your mam going forward but also remember to look after yourself x

Enzo309

Mar 22, 2024
Welcome @Enzo309 I hope you find the help you need on the forum.

There are lots of people who have been through similar experiences to you so just ask and I`m sure you`ll receive answers.
Thanks Grannie G. I've already learnt so much from this forum. The last 6 months have been pretty terrible with my dad in care and my mam in and out of hospital then eventually in a nursing home (was only there 9 days before she died but they were so caring and kind). It's all a bit non-stop and now there's the house to sell and organising payment for dad's care. I did a 'Tell Us Once' at registry office but still haven't heard from L.A. Mam's funeral on 3rd April so I'm letting myself off the hook with them until then. I'll repay any arrears once house sold. Nothing could have prepared me for this but me and my sister have kept each other going. Thanks for your kind words.