New to this

Mary -Lou

Jun 5, 2018
hi all
I’m new to this site, I don’t know where to start but at times things get very difficult, my OH is not the nicest of people he has always had a sharp nasty tongue, 18 months ago he was very ill and on life support ( full respiratory failure ) a few days after being awake he was talking so much gibberish after test it was said he had suffered hypoxic brain injury due to lack of oxygen to the brain, we as a family went through hell
To cut a long story short, he was in his own world was 21 years old or so he thought, was back in the army,
Sadly could also be aggressive, I could list all the things he said and done but I would be giving you a chapter.
After 12 weeks I brought him home and worked with him daily, children’s names, grandchildren’s names, DOB, address, my name, as I was called the wrong name often.

He made some recovery especially physically as I walked him everyday to build his muscles again,
When he left hospital I didn’t get no follow up appointments, and after a few months of him being home I realised he wasn’t going to make any further recovery. I then had to chase up for further checks at the memory clinic pushing for appointments, eventually he got one.
On the first visit they done a memory test, he scored 11, it was never explained to me what this score meant or where we where with the brain injury, after pushing for a brain scan then another appointment to get the results which was only a few weeks ago, we eventually were informed that due to the brain injury he has Vascular dementia as the arteries in the brain had died and would not recover.

So now to the point of my writing this, I had noticed decline in the previous weeks, constantly asking the same Qs, time, day, also sharp and nasty, if I disagree with him or correct him he turns it to a very nasty argument and if I walk away from it he will follow me to push it further, calling me all the names under the sun so days I just want to run but I know I can’t, then I feel guilty as I tell myself he can’t help it.

I am very strong minded and have always gone with the thinking it is what it is, get on with it
But I am finding it harder each day. I was told by the doctor at the memory clinic that he would get the dementia nurse to contact me and visit us, but no one has. I am doing this on my own as my children all have busy lives and don’t see there dad 24/7, only for an hour at weekends.

Where do I go to contact the dementia nurse, does anyone know please ?
Sorry this is so long winded, but just had to tell someone.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hello @Mary -Lou and welcome to the forum. I'm so sorry to read if your situation but I'm glad you've found Talking Point.

I see you asked how to get in touch with a dementia nurse. I'm not sure if you mean an Admiral Nurse but just in case you do here is their link -

https://www.dementiauk.org/get-support/admiral-nursing/

You might find it helpful to get in touch with your local branch of the Alzheimer Society and see what support there might be available. If you put your postcode in the link you'll find services near you -

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

It might also be a good idea to give the National Helpline a ring. I'm sure the advisers there could point you in the right direction. The details are here and they're open until 8pm tonight.

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-s...55.1769454811.1519233588-549088353.1488398070

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland

Mary -Lou

Jun 5, 2018
Hi again
Thank you both for the information you provided, it has come in very useful.
I know this is a new situation in my life and I am constantly reading and learning, in the beginning I was just reading about hypoxia, but now I have the true diagnoses of vascular dementia and working to understand the situations as they arise, but I have to say it’s so unpredictable as I never know what I’m going to get
Truly a total change of life.

But I will keep plodding on as I always have and whatever the future holds it holds ( Que Sara )
No doubt you will hear more from me as after reading quiet a few post we are all in this together and together we can support and help each other, it’s so much easier to talk on here.

A fantastic forum, Thank you

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
Hi @Mary -Lou sorry to read about your struggle. You have definitely come to the right place for support :)
I’m sure if you phone the Memory clinic & explain what’s going on they will hopefully get someone out to you ASAP.
We met our dementia support worker within a month of diagnosis.
Take care

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Hi again
Thank you both for the information you provided, it has come in very useful.
I know this is a new situation in my life and I am constantly reading and learning, in the beginning I was just reading about hypoxia, but now I have the true diagnoses of vascular dementia and working to understand the situations as they arise, but I have to say it’s so unpredictable as I never know what I’m going to get
Truly a total change of life.

But I will keep plodding on as I always have and whatever the future holds it holds ( Que Sara )
No doubt you will hear more from me as after reading quiet a few post we are all in this together and together we can support and help each other, it’s so much easier to talk on here.

A fantastic forum, Thank you
It is so tough but you are in the right place. Hold tight.❤️