New to this site mum diagnosed last year with Alzheimer's

Loreto

Jul 24, 2014
Hi my mum had a diagnosis last year. My dad has prostate cancer and is managing to keep an eye on her . He isn't in the best of health. We are a supportive family and pop over as much as we can . Mum has lost so much weight , she is 74 but has become frail very quickly. She gets dizzy and is light headed. She has no appetite. She mainly sits on the sofa all day and doesn't want to leave the house. She is struggling with walking.
I've learnt to not ask questions and generally repeat answers to questions asked. I feel she needs to get out. But she says she doesn't feel well . Recently I took her to the hairdressers and she really struggled with back ache and generally was agitated by the whole experience.
I would like some ideas as to what to do next. My dad is frustrated at not getting out. But he doesn't like to leave her either .
Thank you

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
when I felt I could not leave my husband alone while I went out I got Crossroads to come in and sit with him. If he felt like it they went for a walk, and a couple of times they went across the road to the pub and had a cup of tea.

See if there is a local Crossroads near you

Jeannette

Loreto

Jul 24, 2014
Thank you I will look into crossroads this is such a learning curve . Her difficulty with walking is that to do with the condition ?

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Thank you I will look into crossroads this is such a learning curve . Her difficulty with walking is that to do with the condition ?

Difficult to answer this Loreto, without knowing your mum.....

It could be part of her condition, but then again does she also have arthritis or anything else which might limit her mobility? Has she had a GP check up recently? She could for example be anaemic, or her blood pressure could be low, or all sorts of things.

I'd suggest a GP check up and Crossroads or another similar service. Look here for support http://www.carers.org

All the best :)

Lindy xx