New to the group

Joe joe

Apr 23, 2024
Hi, I am new to the group, my father was diagnosed with Alzheimers and vascular dementia 18 months ago, we are all still learning to deal with this and the day to day changes that it brings, so glad I found this forum, hoping I can learn from other members on here that are going through the s.ame situation.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Joe joe.

I’m sorry to hear about your father. It’s tough getting to grips with everything, I know. It’s really good that you’ve found this forum. You will certainly get understand and support here. Just ask anything, share your concerns or how you feel or get things off your chest. Members are always willing to share their experiences in order to help.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello and welcome from me also @Joe joe to this friendly and supportive forum. There is a wealth of shared experience of dementia here and members really do want to help.

I am sorry to read about your father. It's a lot to take on board, even if you were half expecting the diagnosis. Do please have a good look around the forums and ask any particular questions you may like to.
On a practical note, if your haven't already, do think about getting Lasting Power of Attorney for your father for both the health and welfare,, and the finance and property one as soon as you can. This will make things much easier for you further down the track. You will know that dementia is a progressive disease, so now is the best your father will be.
This link may help for information:

Tavy

Mar 3, 2024
Hi Joe Joe,
A warm welcome to you.
You may find that we will possibly learn from some of your comments, after all its a learning curve for all us carers.
Stay safe and look after yourself.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Welcome from me too, it's not easy and none of us face the same circumstances.
I did it for my wife and my mum, wife got diagnosed first, ended up me and my mum caring for my wife, not the best of times.
I'm over it now and just help out with a neighbours mum who's starting to struggle a bit these days, I don't mind but 3 times round and I honestly don't know I want to do it all again, they have 2 very young children and are struggling to cope with nana's illness so I step in, hell I'm on first name terms with half of the staff at the memory clinic.
What comes around goes around and when I was ill they were there for me, so just doing my bit as they say. K

Joe joe

Apr 23, 2024
Thank you all so much for your warm welcome, I am in a situation at the moment that I hope someone may be able to give me some advice on. My dad has done an LPA for finance and health&wellbeing, and myself and 2 sisters are all attorneys, the problem is 1 of my sisters is blaming the other 2 of stealing money from our dad, which is not true, my dad has now said to stop anymore accusations and falling out he wants to revoke the lpa for finances, with his diagnosis of alzheimers and dementia will he be able to do this.

backin

Feb 6, 2024
Thank you all so much for your warm welcome, I am in a situation at the moment that I hope someone may be able to give me some advice on. My dad has done an LPA for finance and health&wellbeing, and myself and 2 sisters are all attorneys, the problem is 1 of my sisters is blaming the other 2 of stealing money from our dad, which is not true, my dad has now said to stop anymore accusations and falling out he wants to revoke the lpa for finances, with his diagnosis of alzheimers and dementia will he be able to do this.
If he has capacity, yes