New to the forum

Mable30

Mar 10, 2023
Hi, I’m new to this forum. My mam who is 84 was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s 3 years ago. Its only me to help care for her as my sister lives abroad. My question is, is it common they lie about things. Maybe Lying is a strong word, but for example she tells me she’s sleeping well and not up through the night but I know she is up,and about. She tells me she’s eating well but I know she’s not.
Any advice will be greatly appreaciated

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hello and welcome Mable. In their world what they say is real, in spite of any evidence to the contary.
My often repeated mantra is we have to learn to live in their world when they cannot live in ours.
Fight all the battles you want, but you will lose the war when it comes to AZ. For me it was easier to just say yes, then if I changed my mind she would agree too and want to do I wanted to whatever it was.
I need Shower, we needed a shower, I need the toilet, so did she too, she wouldn't want to eat but suddenly when I cooked for one, she ate it, I cooked for me later on and eat alone most of the time after I'd fed her. K

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Mable30.

It’s really hard, I know. I’m glad you’ve found this forum. You’ll get a lot of understanding and support here.

On the forum people often call them ‘love lies’.

You might find these links useful -

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello and just to say welcome from me too @Mable30 to this friendly and supportive forum. I am very glad you have found us, as there is bags of understanding here from members that really do want to help.
I hope you find the links already sent useful for information, but please do, if you have any particular questions, then please ask away,

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Mable30 and welcome from me too. Long after she was capable my wife went shopping in the city, read books and met friends for coffee. She didn't but it would be harsh to say that she was lying as she seemed to truly believe that all of these and more still happened. It was the same with personal hygiene and care. She was affronted if I suggested that she did not wash properly, for example.

I am afraid that one needs to look beyond what the person says because that's not likely to be accurate. It may fool some people though.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Hello @Mable30
, sadly a lot of what my OH says is either complete nonsense or a mix of reality and perceived reality.. He believes it , he's not lying.

Only this teatime I entered the room after washing
up.He asked me where the thing he was making this afternoon had gone. Where had I put it?
He hadn't made anything ,I hadn't put it anywhere.
I managed to convince him he'd been asleep and had dreamt it. He's aware he sleeps a lot so he accepts that. I'm not sure what I'd say if he didn't sleep so much!

Unless it's really important he knows the truth,something that would lead to the authorities being involved ,I let him think what he wants. 😘

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Its not actually lying, its called confabulation and is very much a feature of dementia. What is happening is that the subconscious brain is filling in the gaps in the memory with false memories that to her seem like the real thing. So she totally believes what she has said, because, you see, she remembers it......

Mable30

Mar 10, 2023
Its not actually lying, its called confabulation and is very much a feature of dementia. What is happening is that the subconscious brain is filling in the gaps in the memory with false memories that to her seem like the real thing. So she totally believes what she has said, because, you see, she remembers it......
Thank you, this really helps

Mable30

Mar 10, 2023
Thank you so much for your response
thank you

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JennyDav