New to site

runtwoshoes

Oct 9, 2023
Hello, my Dad started having the odd memory issue about a year ago. I know it sounds strange but it seems to have deteriorated quickly since he had major dental surgery followed by a bad infection in April this year. Unfortunately back pain that he has had for many years has also increased causing him severe walking difficulties that nothing can be done about. He was on the Neurology waiting list for the back pain but by the time we saw someone his memory issues & confusion had started. He had an MRI scan and we’re waiting for official results but dr said he thinks it’s the start of Vascular Dementia. He went on a cruise last Wednesday for a month with his friend and I’m so worried about how he’s coping with the walking and his memory. I know it sounds dramatic but I feel numb and it’s like I’m watching my life from the outside, I’ve joined this group to learn more to try to support my Dad and have people to talk to who are in similar situations.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @runtwoshoes.

I’m so sorry to read about your dad. It must be especially worrying as he’s away from home and you can’t keep an eye on things.

I’m glad you’ve found this forum. You’ll always find understanding and support here.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello @runtwoshoes and welcome from me too to this friendly and supportive forum. There is a wealth of shared experience of dementia to be found here from members who really do understand and want to help.
I am sorry to read about your Dad. Hopefully, the friend he has gone away with will be keeping an eye on him and providing support where necessary.
Do have a good look round the forums and ask any particular questions you may like to - you will always find a listening ear, understanding, and good advice.