New problem

Justmary

Jul 12, 2018
West Midlands
I've not heard anyone refer to this - my OH has been ripping my clothes! I saw that my fleece had a tear by the pocket, so I thought I must have caught it on something. The next day the tear was much bigger. I checked the pocket on the other side - almost completely ripped off. I found the same thing on another two jackets. One of them has the front just about hanging on by the zip. I've just phoned the dementia helpline. They said I would have to put a lock on the wardrobe... I already have my handbag, keys, toiletries, etc locked away. I sometimes feel that I'm the one living in an institution.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I had that problem wife my late wife, it ultimately lead to 24/7 , not 23.59/7, supervision and was one of the reasons I decided on residential care.
It didn't stop with clothes, anything that can be torn or shredded will do including successful attempts to to pull down curtains.
One strategy was to provide an ample supply of travel brochures for her to destroy, this at least kept her static in one room, only use glossy material as otherwise the carbon gets everywhere.

Justmary

Jul 12, 2018
West Midlands
I must admit that I was very upset for the next couple of days - OH continued ripping up jackets. Dementia helpline suggested I go to GP and I got a prescription for Risperidone. This is the second day of medication and wow - what a difference! We have sat quietly in the garden and enjoyed watching the birds on the feeders. No frantic pacing up and down to the bedroom and garage; no outbursts or sarcastic comments; no more ripping clothes. I don't know how long this peace will last, but what a relief.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
My OH was placed on resperidone and within 24 hrs there was a big difference within 48hrs he was back to his normal mild mannered lovely laid back self.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s so good when medication has an immediate beneficial effect.

Not only are these challenging behaviours extremely upsetting for carers I can't imagine how the people with dementia are feeling to act in this way.