New obsessions

GD96

Nov 11, 2020
Hi, just looking for some advice really. My grandad seems to have a habit of fixating on different things, at one point it was tablets, then money, then clocks and more recently it's keys. He's that obsessed with losing them he keeps wanting more to be cut but then we find them lost in bins or places he's trying to hide them and we can't seem to get through to him he doesn't need more and he's making it worse. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what you can suggest?

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Welcome to Talking Point @GD96. I am sorry to read about your Grandad. What you describe is fairly common behaviour in people with dementia. They will hide items to keep them safe and then forget that safe place. Fixations on particular items are also quite common. I don’t really have any particular advice except to try to learn your grandad’s hiding places to make retrieval easier.
You also said that he had a fixation with tablets, was that tech tablets or medication, if medication you need to ensure that he is taking any medication correctly.
Please continue to post if you have other concerns.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @GD96 I had issues with my dad losing and hiding his keys, or leaving them in the door so I couldn’t get in. My solution was to install a thumb turn lock and put his keys in a safe place which he didn’t know about. This worked because dad never went out alone so it may not be a solution for your grandad.