New NHS Dementia Research

ShivyDevon

Oct 11, 2022
Hello

I searched the forum but I couldn't see anything about this.

My GP surgery sent me a link to the below research opportunity about dementia which can be for everyone but certainly carers and I instantly thought of this forum.

https://www.joindementiaresearch.nihr.ac.uk/

Join Dementia Research is a national service which allows anyone over the age of 18 of the public to register their interest in taking part in dementia research studies. The service is not a research study itself, but matches interested volunteers with researchers who are seeking participants for their studies.

Anyone, aged 18 or older, who lives in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland can sign up to Join Dementia Research.

You do not have to be diagnosed with dementia to sign up. Volunteers who do not have dementia, as well as carers/those who provide support and families of people with dementia are needed for some research studies.

Sorry if I am cross posting. I am going to sign up anyway!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I signed up with Dementia Research some years ago and I’ve been matched to several studies over the years. It was my husband who had dementia but I’ve been involved in some research projects since he died over 6 years ago.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I joined Dementia Research and am also part of Brains for Dementia. I am tested annually to compare the ageing of non dementia brains with the brains of people with dementia.

Both my husband and I donated our brains on death.

A sample of my husband`s brain was taken after he died. The funeral director was so impressed with the respectful way it was done, he went home and discussed it with his wife and they both donated their brain samples for research.

ShivyDevon

Oct 11, 2022
I joined Dementia Research and am also part of Brains for Dementia. I am tested annually to compare the ageing of non dementia brains with the brains of people with dementia.

Both my husband and I donated our brains on death.

A sample of my husband`s brain was taken after he died. The funeral director was so impressed with the respectful way it was done, he went home and discussed it with his wife and they both donated their brain samples for research.
Wow this is amazing. I would totally do this - if I can help others it would be worth it.

I didn't realise it wasn't a new thing. Sorry. Hopefully others find it useful. Thanks for fixing the link 😊

Scarlet Lady

Apr 6, 2021
Like @ShivyDevon , I didn’t realise this wasn’t a new thing. I understand there won’t be results yet, but can I ask those who’ve participated or expressed an interest so far, do you think it’s worth doing?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
can I ask those who’ve participated or expressed an interest so far, do you think it’s worth doing?

Absolutely.

Research is helped by having access to healthy brains as well as those affected by dementia for comparison.

I`m also part of a PROTECT study where I complete cognitive tests on line on a regular basis and answer questions on lifestyle and physical health. I know my brain is ageing as I am ageing. So far I`m ageing at an acceptable level, even though I know some of my memory is going. It does me no harm to contribute and I hope by the time my grandchildren are my age dementia will be controlled.

Scarlet Lady

Apr 6, 2021
Thank you, Sylvia.
I’m not really sure I want to sign up for this, but I do think it’s worthwhile. I’ll need to put my big girl pants on! They’d probably think I’m nuts, anyway….

ShivyDevon

Oct 11, 2022
Thank you, Sylvia.
I’m not really sure I want to sign up for this, but I do think it’s worthwhile. I’ll need to put my big girl pants on! They’d probably think I’m nuts, anyway….
What's worrying you @Scarlet Lady ?

I've joined and I have some surveys to complete and they're totally anonymous. No idea if I'll get asked to do anything else but every little helps.