Sallyappo

May 29, 2024
Hi I am new to the forum, this is my first time posting. My mum has Alzheimer’s/dementia and I am her registered carer. Just come on here for some sanity really. Mum I would say is later stage now, it’s just heartbreaking watching her go through this. Spending more and more time in bed at her choice, the aggression is the part I’m struggling with. I am doing all I can for her, I’m doing my best….but somehow it never feels enough. Anyway rant over

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Sallyappo.

I’m sorry to hear about your mum’s situation. It must be hard for you. You mention your mum’s aggression. Please keep yourself safe in all of this. I hope you have some outside support in caring for your mum.

I’m glad you’ve found this forum.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello @Sallyappo and welcome from me also to this friendly and supportive forum. There is a wealth of shared experience of dementia here so I am glad you have found us.

I am sorry to read about your Mum. You are right, it is heartbreaking watching a loved one slowly decline in front of your eyes. I do so feel for you.
Doing your best is all you can do - and you will be doing just that so try not to beat yourself up over it.
This forum is a good safe space to let off a bit of steam or say how you're feeling. It can help just putting things down on here. Wishing you strength.

Cranefly

May 27, 2024
Hi I am new to the forum, this is my first time posting. My mum has Alzheimer’s/dementia and I am her registered carer. Just come on here for some sanity really. Mum I would say is later stage now, it’s just heartbreaking watching her go through this. Spending more and more time in bed at her choice, the aggression is the part I’m struggling with. I am doing all I can for her, I’m doing my best….but somehow it never feels enough. Anyway rant over
Hello. I am also new to the forum. My husband, who has always been so mild, has Korsakoff's Syndrome, and I was advised by the doctor to stop him drinking. However, no help or advice was given for withdrawal from alcohol and he became aggressive which was so out of character for him. It is very difficult to deal with aggression from a loved one. I eventually had to find a Care Home for him but I would dearly love him at home. These people need one-to-one care and no care home can provide such a high density of staff, so care is often piecemeal. You are doing your best in an impossible situation. That is all you must expect from yourself.

Sallyappo

May 29, 2024
Hello. I am also new to the forum. My husband, who has always been so mild, has Korsakoff's Syndrome, and I was advised by the doctor to stop him drinking. However, no help or advice was given for withdrawal from alcohol and he became aggressive which was so out of character for him. It is very difficult to deal with aggression from a loved one. I eventually had to find a Care Home for him but I would dearly love him at home. These people need one-to-one care and no care home can provide such a high density of staff, so care is often piecemeal. You are doing your best in an impossible situation. That is all you must expect from yourself.
Bless you, that must be so difficult. I am lucky I do have my mum at home with my husband and I. Last year I nursed my dad who sadly passed away at home with me holding his hand. That absolutely broke me, he was my mums main carer and I promised him I would look after her. I am trying my best but she has also got aggressive and doesn’t know who we are half of the time. It’s only me because my younger brother died the year before my dad. Life is so cruel

Sallyappo

May 29, 2024
Hello @Sallyappo and welcome from me also to this friendly and supportive forum. There is a wealth of shared experience of dementia here so I am glad you have found us.

I am sorry to read about your Mum. You are right, it is heartbreaking watching a loved one slowly decline in front of your eyes. I do so feel for you.
Doing your best is all you can do - and you will be doing just that so try not to beat yourself up over it.
This forum is a good safe space to let off a bit of steam or say how you're feeling. It can help just putting things down on here. Wishing you strength.
Thank you for your kind words that means so much. You are right I know, I can only do my best. It really helps to talk

Sallyappo

May 29, 2024
Welcome to the forum @Sallyappo.

I’m sorry to hear about your mum’s situation. It must be hard for you. You mention your mum’s aggression. Please keep yourself safe in all of this. I hope you have some outside support in caring for your mum.

I’m glad you’ve found this forum.
Thank you, we do have a little help, we are currently waiting to move as we are in our lodge at the moment as it’s all on one level for mum. When we have moved I will look at getting some care in I think. We just need someone to sit with mum so we can get a break. Now she is spending more time in bed it isn’t quite so much hard work. But there is still all the running around, her laundry, appointments collecting meds etc. I promised my dad last year before he died I would keep her out of a nursing home. I’ve worked in social care for 30 plus years and I know just how bad some of these places can be, I know there are some good places but I’m trying to keep her at home which is what she wanted too.