Chez1675

Nov 22, 2021
Hi everyone my dad has recently been diagnosed with dementia finally after nearly 12 months of struggling with doctors to listen and speak to the family on our concerns to finally get him diagnosed.

Moving forward does anyone have charities or know of social groups? He is struggling with being advised not to drive and is having a lot of down days unfortunately.

My elderly mum is doing the main caring however she isn’t in the best of health, Iam trying my best to support them it is very hard.

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
Hello @Chez1675 ,

I'm sorry you find yourself here, but you will find it a mine of useful information.

When looking for clubs etc., for Mum, I found the best solution was lots of internet trawling. Their local council should have a directory of "old age" services, which often lists lunch clubs, or similar, often run by community or church groups. Alzheimer's Society website should also have details of activities. Some here have had great success with Men in Sheds groups. You may have a daycentre nearby. Not everything needs to be dementia specific, at least in the early stages.

Some activities your dad will be able to attend alone, others will require that he's accompanied, and you will need to consider transport. Dial-a-ride, or Community Transport should be able to help here.

You should also look into Power of Attorney, Attendance Allowance and Council Tax reduction.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hullo and welcome from me too, @Chez1675. Can I a couple of thoughts to Lollyc's post. Have you considered getting in agency carers to help with personal care or a sitting service to give your mum and you a bit more support. A care needs assessment from the local authority would be your first step, but apologies if you have already been down that route. The other place to speak to about day centres and such like would be your local carers support centre. Mine runs carers groups where other members are full of knowledge on that sort of thing. https://carers.org/help-and-info/carer-services-near-you
The Alzheimer's Society has a list of local services too at https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you
I hope any of that is helpful.

Chez1675

Nov 22, 2021
Hello @Chez1675 ,

I'm sorry you find yourself here, but you will find it a mine of useful information.

When looking for clubs etc., for Mum, I found the best solution was lots of internet trawling. Their local council should have a directory of "old age" services, which often lists lunch clubs, or similar, often run by community or church groups. Alzheimer's Society website should also have details of activities. Some here have had great success with Men in Sheds groups. You may have a daycentre nearby. Not everything needs to be dementia specific, at least in the early stages.

Some activities your dad will be able to attend alone, others will require that he's accompanied, and you will need to consider transport. Dial-a-ride, or Community Transport should be able to help here.

You should also look into Power of Attorney, Attendance Allowance and Council Tax reduction.
Thankyou so much yes just in the middle of power of attorney trying not to rush it but I know we need to get it done Iam hoping before Christmas, attendance allowance came through as wasn’t eligible however we are fighting this currently. I will look into council tax Thankyou the plan is they are going to move in with me when ready.

I will look into groups for my mum she also has breast cancer so isn’t in the best of health either.
Thanks again it’s nice to get some supportive x.