Marshy

Dec 22, 2019
Hi, I’ve been caring for my mother in law for the last 5 years, she had been living with Us. She has been in care home since July 2019. I did think she was setting in ok but Christmas has really thrown everything out of control. She has been talking of throwing herself off a wall , crying lots and generally unhappy. It’s horrible to see and try and comfort her. Please any advise.

rainbowcat

Oct 14, 2015
Hi - I am sorry to hear this. It might be that Xmas in the care home has confused her or made her more tired/exhausted - and I say this because my father had his Xmas party yesterday and he's not been the same since! Double incontinence, very muddled, telling me he's had no breakfast or lunch today, also telling me that there's NO ONE HERE, NO ONE AT ALL, meaning that there's no carers OR residents! When I was on the phone to him TWO carers attended (I could hear them talking to him AND he replied) but he still denied that there was anyone in the premises AT ALL.

So yes, this sounds to me like the Xmas season has disrupted your MIL as it has my father - although please ask the home's manager if MIL has been tested for any infections as this can cause odd changes in behaviour.

Keep us updated!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Good morning @Marshy and welcome to the forum. I’m sorry to hear that your MIL is so unsettled. I too think it may be the Christmas preparations and activities that might be causing the upset. I also wondered if she’s been checked for a urine infection. They can cause havoc.

I hope things settle down soon.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I have experienced both my mother and husband becoming increasingly confused by Christmas activities. When I mentioned it to staff they said it is what relatives expect.

I take this with a pinch of salt. I think the staff also want so festivities around this time of the year. It`s good for them, especially if they are on duty and they do believe they are doing their best for the residents.

Even so, often the change in seating arrangements and even crockery and cutlery, never mind food, can cause people with dementia further confusion.