MrsDoyle

Mar 28, 2019
East Mids
Hi, my partner has just been diagnosed with mixed dementia, vascular and Alzheimer’s but he seems to have gone downhill very quickly. He has also recently been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and at present has shingles which has caused him to be more confused than ever.
He is a fair bit older than me and we have been together just under five years. I have been aware of mild memory loss and repetition for quite a while but it has recently developed into confusion, constant repetition and inability to work the tv remote and phone correctly.
I’m worried that shingles has accelerated the disease. He has asked me over half a dozen times this morning as to what the rash is.
He had been told not to drive since December but either asks or suggests daily about driving. ‘I can drive again after tomorrow can’t I?’ Or ‘I’ll drive.’ Then hbd air is blue when he is told he can’t.
My heart aches for him and the reality of the situation has hit home.
I hope I can find comfort and support through this forum. When my husband died, the forum for widows was of great help.

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @MrsDoyle Welcome to the forum.

Your poor husband. Mixed dementia, diabetes and now shingles.

You are right in thinking the shingles is likely to have a detrimental effect on his confusion. Once the shingles have cleared you might see an improvement.

It`s sad your husband has become so poorly after such a short time together. I hope you have supportive family and friends.

I`m sure you will be well supported here. It`s a bit late now to expect many replies but hopefully, tomorrow will bring more of the support you need.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hullo and welcome to the forums from me too. Sorry you and your partner have so much to deal with between dementia, diabetes and shingles. From my own experience his symptoms will probably improve again after the shingles, but not necessarily to the level he was at before. That is so hard to take. My partner and I were only together 6 years when she was diagnosed with dementia, so I can empathise with you there and agree with Grannie G on the need to get his family to support.
From a practical point of view, have you had a carers assessment and a care needs assessment to see what support is available for you both. https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you is a good directory which may help.

MrsDoyle

Mar 28, 2019
East Mids
Thank you. He was only diagnosed this week so it’s very raw for us. He just says he’s going crackers! Luckily, the family is close both geographically and emotionally. I will start looking into the support options next week, after his birthday, and when I’ve got my head around the situation. I was choosing a birthday card for him today and I had a few tears. I’m sure it’s hard for everyone at the beginning to come to terms with it all. It’s my first experience of dementia as my dad died young and my mum was as sharp as a tack until the day her body gave up on her last June. I know there’s so much help out there, it’s just getting started that’s my problem as then it’s all so real. I’m hoping too that he will not be quite so bad when the shingles has passed.

Last edited: