New member with query re care homes

Sue Rich

Jun 1, 2024
I am next of kin & attorney for health and welfare for my brother has Lewy Body dementia. His wife died with the same dementia in a care home last year. At present he is living independently with the help of carers although the latter are not without problems -this may be the subject of another post! . He has specified in his LPA for Health and and Welfare that he wishes to remain in his own home as long as possible but the social worker has advised me to start looking around at care homes with a view to using respite care initially. I have found one which I think would suit his needs in the longer term but for respite they would still want him in their severe dementia unit. This is because he has Lewy Body and can hallucinate. Is it reasonable to try to negotiate a less restrictive unit for respite at this stage or look for a more flexible home with step up step down care as required?

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @Sue Rich and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum. I am sorry to read about your brothers diagnosis of Lewy Body Dementia and the loss of your Sister in Law last year, you have had a lot to deal with recently.

If your brother hallucinates as a result of the Lewy Body Dementia it is possible that the care home feel that the severe dementia unit is the best place for him, not only to keep him safe but because these units usually have a greater number of staff per resident. You could discuss this with the home but I am not sure that they would change their minds.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @Sue Rich and welcome from me too. It's usual for a care home to carry out an assessment before agreeing to take someone and if the home feels that your brother would be better suited to the severe dementia unit then it might be an idea to try this and see how the respite goes. As you feel that the home would suit your brother's needs in the longer term then the respite stay will enable him to become familiar with the home, and also for the staff to become familiar with his needs, which will make a permanent move easier when the time comes. If you haven't already done so, perhaps visit the severe dementia unit too so that you can get a feel for the level of care provided rather than make a decision based on the restrictions which are in place to keep people safe. Hope this helps.

Alisongs

May 17, 2024
East of England
Hello @Sue Rich and welcome from me too. It's usual for a care home to carry out an assessment before agreeing to take someone and if the home feels that your brother would be better suited to the severe dementia unit then it might be an idea to try this and see how the respite goes. As you feel that the home would suit your brother's needs in the longer term then the respite stay will enable him to become familiar with the home, and also for the staff to become familiar with his needs, which will make a permanent move easier when the time comes. If you haven't already done so, perhaps visit the severe dementia unit too so that you can get a feel for the level of care provided rather than make a decision based on the restrictions which are in place to keep people safe. Hope this helps.
Exactly!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaffacake104