New here , frustrated

Angela Weston

Jun 21, 2024
Hi
My Dad is currently stuck in hospital with a gallbladder infection that keeps returning when antibiotics stop. He has fairly severe memory loss and confusion.
I struggle to get conversation with Dr as they have no phone number available for me to ring. I'm constantly waiting and miss their call as work in a school.
Dad is currently on this 2nd round of high dose antibiotics since he was admitted in April. Social worker has finally assessed him as needing care. But he's not medically fit. I have told Dr that I don't agree with repeated antibiotics but they keep doing it. He's not suitable for surgery.
I have no medical POA. Dad is stuck in hospital and he's miserable .

Collywobbles

Feb 27, 2018
I have told Dr that I don't agree with repeated antibiotics but they keep doing it. He's not suitable for surgery.
That’s a horrible situation for you both. I’ve had a gallbladder infection and I was miserable enough without the confusion of dementia.

What third alternative do you envisage? As a lay person, to my mind, if the infected gallbladder can’t be surgically removed then the infection will worsen and spread unless brought under control by antibiotics.

I’m not sure what other course of action might be feasible by way of treatment - have you come across an approach which could be suggested to the doctor?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaffacake104