New Here - Advice needed

Tracy12

May 16, 2014
Northamptonshire
Hi there,
I have recently, about 2 months ago, begun caring for my mum who was living in a retirement home before that. I am finding it difficult but I am all she has as my sister lives in Australia.
Personality wise she has changed totally in the last six to nine months from an active, busy person to someone who sits on the the sofa all day apart from mealtimes and those little visits we all have to make. Atm she is getting her own breakfast and lunch, the same things every day, but at least she does it independently. My other half cooks a main meal for the three of us in the evening.
She is on anti depressants although it took me from last June to November to get her to have the prescription filled. She has had blood tests done where she was living and here with us, all came back fine. We are waiting for an appointment for the memory clinic, she scored 10/28 at the docs, but apparently that will be another six weeks.
My husband has been brill but he starts work at 1.30 in the morning so goes to bed at 6.00 at the latest. We then sit the two of us all evening in almost total silence. I make conversation but it doesn't last very long. I used to write in the evenings or sew, now I knit because it's easier and I can sit with her. Our taste in tv programmes are poles apart and although I've offered knitting stuff, books, magazines etc she doesn't 'have the energy for any of it and is too muddle headed anyway'. She is frustrated by her lack of energy but does nothing to help herself feel better about things, but maybe this is as good as it's going to get.
I could go on but I won't or I'll sound even more selfish than I do already. Writing it down doesn't make it any easier but it does help to share.
T

Eleonora

Dec 21, 2012
Abingdon Oxfordshire
Hi there,
I have recently, about 2 months ago, begun caring for my mum who was living in a retirement home before that. I am finding it difficult but I am all she has as my sister lives in Australia.
Personality wise she has changed totally in the last six to nine months from an active, busy person to someone who sits on the the sofa all day apart from mealtimes and those little visits we all have to make. Atm she is getting her own breakfast and lunch, the same things every day, but at least she does it independently. My other half cooks a main meal for the three of us in the evening.
She is on anti depressants although it took me from last June to November to get her to have the prescription filled. She has had blood tests done where she was living and here with us, all came back fine. We are waiting for an appointment for the memory clinic, she scored 10/28 at the docs, but apparently that will be another six weeks.
My husband has been brill but he starts work at 1.30 in the morning so goes to bed at 6.00 at the latest. We then sit the two of us all evening in almost total silence. I make conversation but it doesn't last very long. I used to write in the evenings or sew, now I knit because it's easier and I can sit with her. Our taste in tv programmes are poles apart and although I've offered knitting stuff, books, magazines etc she doesn't 'have the energy for any of it and is too muddle headed anyway'. She is frustrated by her lack of energy but does nothing to help herself feel better about things, but maybe this is as good as it's going to get.
I could go on but I won't or I'll sound even more selfish than I do already. Writing it down doesn't make it any easier but it does help to share.
T
Hello Tracy, and a warm welcome to Talking Point. I'm fairly new here myself, but I've found masses of help and information here to help me cope with my husband's Alzheimer's and Dementia.

Thank goodness your husband is such a star! It must put something of a strain on your life together - but in some ways, it is surely much easier to look after your Mum if you are on the spot, rather than having to head out several times a day to go to her place; or worry about how she is coping on her own.

You say that she used to live in a Retirement Home - do you think she might be missing it?
We live in a small block of Retirement Flats, and there is quite a lively social life here for those who are of a sociable nature.

Would it be possible for the two of you to go out somewhere together for one or two evenings sometimes? A cinema, the W.I., or maybe a local club or society. The local papers are usually a good sauce of information about all sorts of activities suitable for two women to share, (even if one of them is not terribly active) .
There's nothing like a mutual interest in something outside the home to get the conversation flowing.

You are obviously not at all selfish:) You are doing your very best to look after your Mum, but if this is all new to you, it can be very scary sometimes. Not only that, accepting a new person into your home, (even if it is your Mum) is likely to be tough at first, but with good will on both sides, and a generous chunk of love thrown in - you'll sort it out between the three of you.

Tracy12

May 16, 2014
Northamptonshire
Hello Tracy, and a warm welcome to Talking Point. I'm fairly new here myself, but I've found masses of help and information here to help me cope with my husband's Alzheimer's and Dementia.

Thank goodness your husband is such a star! It must put something of a strain on your life together - but in some ways, it is surely much easier to look after your Mum if you are on the spot, rather than having to head out several times a day to go to her place; or worry about how she is coping on her own.

You say that she used to live in a Retirement Home - do you think she might be missing it?
We live in a small block of Retirement Flats, and there is quite a lively social life here for those who are of a sociable nature.

Would it be possible for the two of you to go out somewhere together for one or two evenings sometimes? A cinema, the W.I., or maybe a local club or society. The local papers are usually a good sauce of information about all sorts of activities suitable for two women to share, (even if one of them is not terribly active) .
There's nothing like a mutual interest in something outside the home to get the conversation flowing.

You are obviously not at all selfish:) You are doing your very best to look after your Mum, but if this is all new to you, it can be very scary sometimes. Not only that, accepting a new person into your home, (even if it is your Mum) is likely to be tough at first, but with good will on both sides, and a generous chunk of love thrown in - you'll sort it out between the three of you.

Hi Eleanora
Just realising your feelings aren't unique is a great help and I know I haven't even scratched the surface of the things I'll find here. Mum lived a six hour round trip away and not driving myself meant one of us had to relocate and as my husband's job and our family, including grandchildren, are all here the decision was relatively easy.
My mum has never been a sociable person, she was more of a helper; if there was washing up to do she would volunteer, partly because she is deaf and can't keep up with conversations but partly because she never volunteers any information about anything to anyone. In ten years she never had anyone in for a cuppa, her reasoning was no one asked her either!
I have suggested things to her but she doesn't even want to go to my son's house for tea and when my daughter in law and youngest grandchild calls in during the day she either says 'oh no' when I tell her they're coming or can't wait for them to leave. Hopefully her body language isn't as obvious to others as it is to me.
Having suffered from depression myself I would say she was still depressed herself but as she 'never was' depressed and is now taking the tablets it can't be that! The doctor won't do anything until she's been to the memory clinic but six weeks is a long time to sit next to her on the sofa every night. Asking her what she wants to do results in her saying things like 'oh I'm fine as I am till I feel better,' but I know she isn't.
The changing dynamic is hard too, we were finally alone with all our children happy and satisfied and living in their own places and we were enjoying finding each other again. That lasted just over four months. My husband is going to bed earlier and earlier and I had to tell my mum I needed her to go to bed at ten so I could have a little me time.
I'll stop now, I could write for hours otherwise and I've not been a wallower until recently. It's not a trait I like in myself and that's another problem, I don't like how this is making me feel which adds guilt to the situation as well!
Off now to tear my hair out! ;)
Tracy

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point