New habit cutting flowers , branches ,

Oufan

Nov 8, 2023
My husband has started planting anything he finds, just cuts branches from trees and even daisies and plants and waters them
Today we visited my mothers house and he went into her garden and cut branches off the apple tree and put them in the car boot
Tomorrow he said he will plant them !
What do I do?
Even driving home he wanted me to stop when he saw a tree he liked so he could cut off more branches
Any one had similar experiences and how do you handle it
Thanks

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
Pick your battles carefully and as this one is doing very little harm, so where possible, let him get on with it.

If he wants you to stop the car to pinch some branches, just tell him that you'll look for a suitable parking space and drive on.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Yes, let him get on with it unless he is going to anger someone by cutting off a branch of their tree…..

The more you say no, the more he will probably want to do it.

The way you describe it sounds rather endearing but I’m sure it’s annoying for you!

Oufan

Nov 8, 2023
Pick your battles carefully and as this one is doing very little harm, so where possible, let him get on with it.

If he wants you to stop the car to pinch some branches, just tell him that you'll look for a suitable parking space and drive on.
I don’t mind at all and let him do whatever he finds keeps him busy
But I’m just trying to understand the reasoning behind this .
Anyone else had similar experiences?

Oufan

Nov 8, 2023
Yes, let him get on with it unless he is going to anger someone by cutting off a branch of their tree…..

The more you say no, the more he will probably want to do it.

The way you describe it sounds rather endearing but I’m sure it’s annoying for you!
I just find it very strange , last month it was daisies, he’s pick on our daily walks and plant them.
Just trying to understand the logic behind this new habit .
Any one else had similar experiences

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
I just find it very strange , last month it was daisies, he’s pick on our daily walks and plant them.
Just trying to understand the logic behind this new habit .
Any one else had similar experiences
im not so certain there is any logic in it. they tend to not to use logic in their world.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I don’t mind at all and let him do whatever he finds keeps him busy
But I’m just trying to understand the reasoning behind this .
Anyone else had similar experiences?
Not quite the same but my dad wanted to prune every plant he saw. They were all too big especially trees. Shouldn't be allowed to grow that big is what he always said. He had some houseplants that he watered profusely but he always snipped the tallest shoot off which left another tallest shoot so they all became stumps in the end but he would still water them.

I never quite understood this but as someone else said, let them get on with it if it makes them happy because some things are just beyond reason.

Oufan

Nov 8, 2023
Not quite the same but my dad wanted to prune every plant he saw. They were all too big especially trees. Shouldn't be allowed to grow that big is what he always said. He had some houseplants that he watered profusely but he always snipped the tallest shoot off which left another tallest shoot so they all became stumps in the end but he would still water them.

I never quite understood this but as someone else said, let them get on with it if it makes them happy because some things are just beyond reason.
Thanks and as you said I’ll just let him carry on pruning and cutting branches and planting them as it keeps him busy and happy too !

Oufan

Nov 8, 2023
Thanks all for your replies
Just to update you as he has cut my fruit trees and re planted them, collects all the plastic bottles he can find , goes through the recycle bins and just brings everything back into the house.
I leave him get on with it but is it worth trying to explain his branches he’s cut won’t grow back

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Thanks all for your replies
Just to update you as he has cut my fruit trees and re planted them, collects all the plastic bottles he can find , goes through the recycle bins and just brings everything back into the house.
I leave him get on with it but is it worth trying to explain his branches he’s cut won’t grow back
could you put a tub or something some where for him to put his plastic bottles?

Oufan

Nov 8, 2023
could you put a tub or something some where for him to put his plastic bottles?
Thanks , I did that today and he’s happy to fill the bottles with water and place them in the containers!
He’s got plastic water bottles everywhere now around the garden, in the bushes and Fills them with water now and places them next to the trees.
He’s already asked about tomorrow if he can plant more trees!
It’s such hard work isn’t it ! Just wish I knew what he’s thinking

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Was your OH a keen gardener @Oufan ?

Perhaps he thinks he is taking cuttings.
I have in the past used plastic water bottles with the bottoms cut off, sunk into the ground upside down to aid watering plants. You pour water into them and it takes the water down to the roots.

Maybe thats what he is thinking of?

Oufan

Nov 8, 2023
Was your OH a keen gardener @Oufan ?

Perhaps he thinks he is taking cuttings.
I have in the past used plastic water bottles with the bottoms cut off, sunk into the ground upside down to aid watering plants. You pour water into them and it takes the water down to the roots.

Maybe thats what he is thinking of?
Hi there !
No not really shown any interest in gardening before. I was the one who did the garden, now he’s just chopping branches off all my fruit trees and leaving the tree ls bare !
We are spending some time in our home in Jordan so we have lots of fruit trees and grapes etc
He’s managed to cut all the fruit trees and now started on my fir trees !

SoniaR

May 25, 2024
They do odd things don’t they? We have a dishwasher and OH has started to empty it but nothing had been washed yet (I switch it on before bed)! So I have to try and find the dirty dishes he has put away! He even said they did look dirty but he still dried them and put them away. No matter how often I remind him to wait until the morning when they are clean, he’s doing it over and over. Also what goes in what bin? I know people with dementia can’t help it, but it’s just so exhausting trying to sort out his many mistakes. Maybe your husband watched a gardening programme and saw how to take cuttings? I’m just watching Monty Don pruning a big tree!

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
They do odd things don’t they? We have a dishwasher and OH has started to empty it but nothing had been washed yet (I switch it on before bed)! So I have to try and find the dirty dishes he has put away! He even said they did look dirty but he still dried them and put them away. No matter how often I remind him to wait until the morning when they are clean, he’s doing it over and over. Also what goes in what bin? I know people with dementia can’t help it, but it’s just so exhausting trying to sort out his many mistakes. Maybe your husband watched a gardening programme and saw how to take cuttings? I’m just watching Monty Don pruning a big tree!
can i ask? could you put the dishwasher on earlier so he can empty clean dishes and you dont have try and find the dishes that he put away dirty?

Mel 51

Mar 27, 2024
Oh bless, my mum is the same with pot washing, she will wash plates with a spoon and think they are clean. I just let her do it, then clean them afterwards .

clarky6762

Feb 28, 2018
My husband has started planting anything he finds, just cuts branches from trees and even daisies and plants and waters them
Today we visited my mothers house and he went into her garden and cut branches off the apple tree and put them in the car boot
Tomorrow he said he will plant them !
What do I do?
Even driving home he wanted me to stop when he saw a tree he liked so he could cut off more branches
Any one had similar experiences and how do you handle it
Thanks
My wife has had dementia for a long time about 15 years. She was diagnosed when she was about 52. She’s done some really strange things over the last few years and unfortunately all you can do is go along with it. You can’t argue with them or stop them doing what they want to do. It causes more trouble than it’s worth Maybe when your husband is not looking you can remove them and then he can plant again another day. There’s just no easy answer to the strange things they do. My wife’s put her dinner in the bedside cabinet before and hides things. It’s all difficult to deal with.