New discoveries of the cause of brain-cell death - offering an eventual cure.

Frank68

Jan 28, 2013
South Coast
This news broke on the BBC R4 (and website) this morning. This good news was followed however by a note of caution - it will take years to move fron the discovery of the cause to a treatment...
The interviewer then failed to ask the question which I would frame: Now that there a potential breakthrough, would expanding research hasten the treatment? Given the HUGE and growing financial cost of caring for people with dementia, much of which falls on the state, would it not make sense for such research to be backed by governments with whatever it takes ?
I hope to hear Altz Soc pressing that question in coming days?

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
This news broke on the BBC R4 (and website) this morning. This good news was followed however by a note of caution - it will take years to move fron the discovery of the cause to a treatment...
The interviewer then failed to ask the question which I would frame: Now that there a potential breakthrough, would expanding research hasten the treatment? Given the HUGE and growing financial cost of caring for people with dementia, much of which falls on the state, would it not make sense for such research to be backed by governments with whatever it takes ?
I hope to hear Altz Soc pressing that question in coming days?
I haven't read the full article but I think it may be some time yet before this shows definite proof as to the cause of neuronal death -it sounds promising and makes sense. Interestingly the mechanism described is similar but not the same as that which occurs in cancer cells called apoptosis. The mechanism of apoptosis works because the cells are programmed to self destruct when they are told they can do, in cancer the mechanism of apoptosis fails and cancerous cells fail to self destruct hence the growth of cancer cells continues. In this new finding necroptosis interestingly has a slightly different mechanism which is an alternative mode of cell death triggering neuronal cell autodestruction.

Just a point on the cost of care I would argue that the State does not foot the bill and does very little for most people who in many ways self fund not to mention the wider unpaid carer workforce of partners, families and friends. Although research is promising it isn't at fruition yet and I think we should not forget the financial burden and burden of care people are having to endure now and will have to endure as it will be too late for those now by the time any useful treatment becomes available.

luggy

Jan 25, 2023
I haven't read the full article but I think it may be some time yet before this shows definite proof as to the cause of neuronal death -it sounds promising and makes sense. Interestingly the mechanism described is similar but not the same as that which occurs in cancer cells called apoptosis. The mechanism of apoptosis works because the cells are programmed to self destruct when they are told they can do, in cancer the mechanism of apoptosis fails and cancerous cells fail to self destruct hence the growth of cancer cells continues. In this new finding necroptosis interestingly has a slightly different mechanism which is an alternative mode of cell death triggering neuronal cell autodestruction.

Just a point on the cost of care I would argue that the State does not foot the bill and does very little for most people who in many ways self fund not to mention the wider unpaid carer workforce of partners, families and friends. Although research is promising it isn't at fruition yet and I think we should not forget the financial burden and burden of care people are having to endure now and will have to endure as it will be too late for those now by the time any useful treatment becomes available.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Don’t you get sick and tired of being told that there is some research somewhere that might help with this particular treatment for cancer, diabetes, renal failure and on and on? Then there is the information that there needs to be trials done so this might be not be available for five to ten years.

Then it seems to disappear into the mists of time just to become one of the ’maybe’ brigade.

I think whoever comes up with a better treatment or cure is going to be rolling in money so I feel sure that there are companies out there working their tails off to be the successful one.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bbenne