New diagnosis

Charlie Duke

Apr 27, 2023
Hi my husband has just been given his diagnosis of alzheimer's he thinks they have it wrong and has been told not to drive until he has his driving assessment can anyone tell me what is involved with this thanks

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Charlie Duke.

I’m sorry to hear about your husband’s diagnosis. There’s information in this link about the driving assessment -

There’s also a factsheet about driving -

SherwoodSue

Jun 18, 2022
Hello. Sorry to hear of your husband’s diagnosis. It is quite common for people with dementia to lack awareness of their own cognitive changes. I would start to prepare for life without your husband as driver. Do you drive? If not a taxi fund can help. By the time you tax and fuel a car etc it’s quite a spend. Converting the same money for taxi journeys is financially realistic. Sometimes it’s just being able to make the adjustment. So hard for many folks.

Veritas

Jun 15, 2020
Welcome to the club we’d all have preferred not to join. You’ll find plenty of information and support here. It’s a lot to take in, and I hope you have people who can support you as well as your husband.

My husband when diagnosed thought a lot of fuss was being made about nothing - it’s a common reaction. Unfortunately this disease does affect insight.

On the driving, you will need by law to notify DVLA of the diagnosis (and his insurers too) immediately. The insurers must be informed that he has been told not to drive pending the outcome of an assessment.

Once DVLA has been informed they will request and pay for the assessment - they will notify you of which centre they want your husband to go to. This can take a while - in our case, about five months. I don’t know which part of the country you are in, but there are centres dotted around. See www.drivingmobility.org.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0Kem5M_O_gIVQe7tCh16cAK1EAAYASAAEgK0IPD_BwE I believe a fee is payable if you approach a centre directly, but it will speed things up.

The assessment itself takes a couple of hours. We found the staff helpful and supportive, but also clear when their assessment results showed it was time for my husband to stop driving. The safety aspect was heavily emphasised, and helped my husband to come to terms with not driving any more. For each assessment I drove my husband to the centre and waited for him, which is advised because any advice to stop driving takes immediate effect.

A new diagnosis of Alzheimer’s doesn’t automatically result in not being able to drive. It is hugely helpful to have an independent opinion on the issue, and if he does ‘pass’ this assessment do accept any invitation for review. It lets you off the hook in a big way, and gives him someone else to blame if it doesn’t work out as he expects/wants.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Charlie Duke and welcome to Dementia Talking Point. I am sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis. Driving and the potential issues arising from an assessment are subjects that often arise.

This link might be helpful:

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello @Charlie Duke and welcome to dementia talking point. You will find us a very friendly and supportive bunch.
I am so sorry to learn of your husband's very recent diagnosis. You will no doubt be in a state of shock and wondering what the future will bring, apart from an upcoming driving assessment. Please do continue to post on here as there are lots of members with first hand experience of all the various aspects that dementia brings. Take care.