New diagnosis

Sailor Tom

Dec 9, 2017
Hi my name Tom am 55 years old and diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's the end of last month .It was a big shock for myself and family we are slowly coming to term's with it .and working out where to go for help and support

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi Tom and welcome to Talking Point.

I'm so sorry to read of your diagnosis but I'm glad you've found this forum. There's always someone around here to listen or chat to you.

I wondered if you had been in touch with your local Alzheimers Society branch. If not you'll find where yours is by putting your postcode into the box in this link -

http://alzheimers.org.uk/?_ga=2.73221971.1182387782.1512408746-555544372.1504370756

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
Hi Tom

Welcome to the forum and sorry you and your family are having to deal with this.

The help on here is amazing and people are very generous with sharing their experiences, tips and advice, be that as carers or having dementia themselves.

Others will probably start with the same advice, which is to sort out Lasting Power of Attorney as soon as possible.

After the initial shock, you will probably have all sorts of questions, so when you feel like it, ask away.

Kind regards.
Phil

Sailor Tom

Dec 9, 2017
Hi Tom

Welcome to the forum and sorry you and your family are having to deal with this.

The help on here is amazing and people are very generous with sharing their experiences, tips and advice, be that as carers or having dementia themselves.

Others will probably start with the same advice, which is to sort out Lasting Power of Attorney as soon as possible.

After the initial shock, you will probably have all sorts of questions, so when you feel like it, ask away.

Kind regards.
Phil

Hi Phil thanks for the advice where going to get it all sorted after Christmas and have decided to have a really good Christmas and try and forget about it until the new year. Any advice about the best way to sort it. Tom

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
Hi Phil thanks for the advice where going to get it all sorted after Christmas and have decided to have a really good Christmas and try and forget about it until the new year. Any advice about the best way to sort it. Tom

Hi Tom

I did our LPAs myself back in 2014. Back then, you could complete them partly online, print off to get all the signatures etc and then post off to the OPG to register.

I believe you can now do more of it online so best look on the OPG website - from what others have said, it is fairly straightforward and is actually cheaper now than when I did it?

https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney

Regards
Phil

Last edited by a moderator: