New diagnosis- no idea what to do next

snapt

Jun 22, 2014
Hi All. My dad was diagnosed on Friday and is already having his main care given by my mom. I don't know where to turn. The neuro consultant gave us a diagnosis so we are being referred to a psych geriatrician for daily activity support next.

Should I now start the ball rolling by applying for attendance allowance ?

They rent a house, have very little savings, and have never claimed a benefit in their lives.

I have absolutely no idea what to do and the more I read about this awful disease the more upset I become.

:(

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I would hope you will be given a support worker attached to the clinic she is being sent to. When they come out one of their jobs should be to fill in the Attendance allowance form for you. If this doesn't happen ask Age UK to send someone to advise you as ticking the right boxes on these forms is essential.. When your claim is accepted you can use it to get a reduction on council tax.

Meanwhile ask the LA and the Alz Soc what groups, cafés, etc are available locally for Alz patients as meeting other people and getting out will stop them getting on each other's nerves and they will find out a lot of useful information on what is available locally.

Much of the info I have found is due to listening in on other people asking questions I haven't even thought of!

bilslin

Jan 17, 2014
hertforshire
Hi snaps and welcome to TP sorry that you have had to come and join us here on TP but you've come to the right place that you can get advice and support that you will need now that you've had to start the journey of dementia. Good luck with the Alzheimer society they will be a great help. lindax