NEW Bathroom, Wet room, Shower Room - any experience ?

ElizabethAnn

Jan 4, 2014
Northumberland
Ardlife, dottyd, jwawuk, Izzy (again!) & Owly & all the others before,
many thanks for your thoughts - lots of things for us to take into account. Not least of which "future proofing" for when Mum & Dad are worse than they are now...

Great photos Izzy, hadn't seen half door showers before but had wondered how the carer wouldn't get a soaking too!

I just knew you guys would have lots of useful ideas to pass on - so many, many thanks to you all for your time.

rgds, Elizabeth (& Susan)

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
The carer is much more skilled than I am. I usually end up wet!!:D

Last edited:

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
Izzy
Did you get any technical assistance (not financial) from your local social services to help you decide on your new bathroom ????
I most certainly must get my bathroom sorted SAP
I cannot use the bath and at the present time am relying on the carers giving me a strip wash daily
I know my physical condition is going to get worse ,not better and I get myself into a right 'tiz waz' trying to think what to do for the best for now and the long term
jimbo 111

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Jimbo I talked to the OT. He made an appointment for me and Bill to go to the local Independent Living Centre -

https://www.dundeecity.gov.uk/DILC/main.htm

We were able to look at the different kinds of showers available and he advised on what he thought would be best for Bill. He gave us the names of a couple of companies to try for quotes. I ended up going with someone different but used his advice and the ideas from the first company to quote! Once it was all done I got the OT to provide grab rails in the shower and at the side of the bath. Although Bill doesn't use the bath now you never know when I might need the grab rail!

Spiro

Mar 11, 2012
An OT told me that a bathroom had to be a minimum size of 2 square metres. However, that isn't that big a space if you have a well-built person using the facilities, plus the carer.:)

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
Hello Beate, Mum & Dad have saved hard throughout their lives, and currently are above the savings limit for this type of help.

But it's good to know that this type of financial help may be available for those who qualify :)

Many thanks for responding.

Elizabeth.

A friend of ours who has various health problems, though no dementia, recently had 50% of the cost of a new, larger shower being installed, met by the council or whoever it is who pays. I was very surprised, since I know he has considerable savings (though not a huge income) and has a rental property as well as his own home, both fully paid off. He is pretty tight - the sort of person who has usually conveniently forgotten his credit cards when it comes to paying for the Sunday roast in the pub :D - but I am sure he would not actually have fibbed about his assets. For several years he was a senior CAB adviser so pretty well clued up about what he was entitled to. If his case is anything to go by, I would have thought that at least some help might be forthcoming.

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
Our bathroom was not big enough for a bath and shower so as David needed a shower the bath had to go. same as Izzy though, even if we had a bath David cannot be left for more than a few minutes so it is a quick shower for me.
Shower is a standard one with low access ( around 3 inches) which David can still manage as we have carefully positioned grab rails for him to hold on to. We have fold down seat which is useful when I wash his hair. Shower is thermostatically controlled.
When I was planning it with the company who installed it they put the control and shower head on the back wall i.e opposite where the door opens. I asked them to move it to one of the side walls. This means it is easy for me to reach from outside the cubicle and I don't get wet.
Tre