neuropsychological test

mikeb2

May 17, 2022
My OH going to attend a neuropsychological test next week - he not looking forward to it - could anyone say what they will ask or test him , just so I an reassure him

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I definitely can't post links just too incompetent, the NHS website has all the answers, I just put in the test for the test condition and it's all there.
Someone will post a link I hope they usually do.
From experience your input will count for a lot too, just be honest with your answers, that and good luck.
K

Bay Tree

Jun 19, 2023
I wasn't in the room when my husband did his neuropsychological tests but they weren't distressing for him. He was nervous before he went in but he was put at ease while taking them and didn't feel pressured. There were lots of different ones covered and when the psychologist thought he was tired and had enough, she stopped the tests and said they could be continued over another session (this didn't prove necessary). Before he took the tests we were both spoken to and asked lots of questions and while he took them, I had a form to fill in which covered lots of areas so I could give a good picture of what my husband was like. I'm sure the tests are standard but perhaps what makes a difference is the person administering them and the setting they are done in. These were done at the Memory Clinic who have been very supportive and the psychologist was very kind and relaxed, but I'm sure others might not have had the same experience.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
We live in Australia so there may be differences in testing.

My husband’s neuropsychological testing was very lengthy and quite tiring. I was not present during the testing but he said he found it to be very hard. While he was being tested, I spent an hour with an Occupational therapist talking about the things I had noticed about my husband.

He repeated the testing three years later and declared that he never wanted to do it again. My husband has been high functioning so maybe he was aware that he wasn’t doing too well on the tests.

The letters we received from the neuropsychologist were very interesting and helpful to me.

mikeb2

May 17, 2022
Yesterday my OH went to the neuropsychologist and spent 2.5 hours with her - he came out extremely tired from the which he said was very extensive -several books of tests he said - memory and other test which he said where shapes etc -half of the questions on the shapes he had to just guess has he did know the answers randomly pointing to what he thought looked right, he woke up this morning still very tired and a headache-

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yes. OH has had several neuropsychology tests and it always takes him a few days to get over it. They are indeed extensive - much more in depth than the regular memory tests. It sounds like he was having some problems with some of the tests which will probably be picked up
xx

mikeb2

May 17, 2022
my OH keep saying he was given a large book and he had to pick shapes in a box to match, one of the main shapes , though he had to match these but he said he was not sure what he was doing so randomly pick anything, do anyone knows wat he trying to say