Neighbour Concerns

John J

Dec 26, 2020
Hello, seeking some advise regarding our neighbour.

Recently me and my girlfriend moved into a 1st floor flat. Living below us is an elderly lady who lives alone. Upon first meeting our neighbour we both felt that something wasn't quite right with her mentally although she was always very pleasant and polite.

For the first month or so we had no problems at all. The first problem arose when I was returning late from work (near midnight) she came out of the flat quite upset claiming that a "drilling noise" was coming from our flat and had been keeping her awake for the last week. I tried to explain that we didn't have anything on late at night and was confused at what it could be. When I eventually went up to my flat there was absolutely no noise and my girlfriend was fast asleep.

After this incident there have been numerous times where we have heard her slamming doors at 1/2am....we have even heard her opening and closing the front door and walking outside the flat at 2/3am and on one occasion I even heard her crying hysterically which was very concerning. We have tried to generally keep our distance but whenever she has seen us she always says that there is noise coming from ours in the middle of the night. We have asked what the noise sounds like but every time it is a different answer. No matter how many times we have tried to explain that we are not the cause of the noise yet she doesn't seem to accept this and there is no reasoning. On the most recent occasion music started plating at a ridiculously loud level at 2 in the morning followed by her walking in and out of the front door. I have found that when talking to her she gets very confused and doesn't seem to answer questions properly or communicate in a normal way.

We have only lived in the property around 6-7 months and during that time we have never witnessed anyone visit her, her curtains are pretty much closed all day and she appears to only ever go out to get food. Obviously its difficult to do things during the pandemic but it is sad to think that she doesn't seem to have anyone.

Unfortunately, it has gotten to a point now where it is starting to affect me and my girlfriend where we cant sleep at night and feel uncomfortable in our own home. We really don't want to be unsensitive and are generally concerned for our neighbours wellbeing too. We are thinking about reporting it to raise our concern but would want to do so in the right way and confidentially.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
Hi
Keep a diary of the going's on with her.
Contact social services, adult team, let them know whats happening, as they have a "Duty of Care" to "Vulnerable persons".
If needs be, call the police, if she's in danger. Outside inappropriately dressed, acting distressed.

Bod.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
My reply was going to be almost identical to @bods above.
I would also consider fitting cctv to the front of my property.
Should I bump into the neighbours that live next door to her then I would consider starting a ‘kindly concerned neighbour conversation’ and see if that reveals any useful information?

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @John J I can understand your concerns about your neighbour's welfare and safety. Your local authority website should show the contact details for their adult safeguarding team, and I would also suggest giving the Dementia Connect Support Line a call as they are experienced in these types of issues and will be able to provide you with help and advice. They are open today between 10am - 4pm: https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/dementia-connect-support-line

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My mum was doing a similar sort of thing - hearing noises all during the night and going outside at night very inadequately dressed - and I had no idea that there were problems. Once I discovered what was actually going on I found that Social Services would not do anything because mum refused any help. I tried to get the neighbours to contact Social Services with their concerns, but they didnt like to and it took a crisis before mum got the help she needed.

Please, please follow bods advice and contact Social Services adult safeguarding about this lady. Your phone calls will help to convince them that she needs help.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I agree with what the others have said but just wanted to add: thank you for being concerned :)

It's definitely not your responsibility so getting social services involved is the right thing to do, so she can get the help she needs. However, I will warn you - if she has no relatives to help and even if SS do a care needs assessment, the most they will do initially is send a carer a few times a day to check on her. Clearly, that won't work or stop the night-time problems (it is common for people with dementia to experience worse symptoms in the evening or at night - known as 'sundowning') so it will probably take a crisis of some sort before she gets adequate help. And that probably means a care home. Social services will try all the (cheaper) options before they move someone to a care home...

So my advice is, report to SS, keep fingers crossed that they act. Continue to report to SS every time she disturbs you or others at night. Sooner or later they will have to take full responsibility. You might choose to use a few keywords such as that your neighbour is 'a vulnerable adult at risk' and that they (SS) have 'duty of care'.

And thanks again for caring....

John J

Dec 26, 2020
Thank you for all the advise.

We have managed to keep a little log of certain incidents and I also have doorbell camera installed that has captured footage of her walking outside at 2am. The issues only seem to occur at night time which can be quite unsettling. Christmas eve in particular was very bad.

It is a very difficult situation as we don't want to be involved but its starting to affect us and we are genuinely concerned for her too. The property directly next to hers is currently unoccupied otherwise they would probably be experiencing worse noise than us.

If I did report it my main concern is that we remain anonymous as I wouldn't want her accusing us if that makes sense.

Thanks again!

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
When you do report it make sure you spell out that you want your data protection rights honoured.

Put the word ‘accusations’ in the search bar at the top of the page. You will quickly learn that false accusations are a hallmark of the condition.
So if you leave her on her own, without help , the likelihood of accusations coming your way are very high whatever you have done or not done!

Lets turn this around, if she goes out tonight and dies through hyperthermia is then you will have that terrible ‘ I could have done more ‘ feeling.
I would report !

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @John J, I agree with all the advice given above. My mother was living alone when her dementia developed, and I'm afraid she made her neighbours lives very difficult with accusations of theft, electricity stealing etc. I think contacting the police if you think she is danger of doing herself or you unintentional harm, or your local social services to flag her up as a vulnerable adult is the way to go.
I know it feels like you might be making her life worse, but she needs help. as you say the pandemic has meant that a lot of elderly people have been left on their own to the detriment of their mental health.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
I had a similar experience with a neighbour, but the difference was that I had contact with a family member who was aware of the situation. I was already familiar with dementia issues as my mother in law had mixed dementia. With my neighbour who was knocking on our front door at all hours , I initially spoke to the family member. Her family moved her away to a new house some hour or more by car, but when the neighbour arrived at our door at 0300hrs in a cab looking for her old home, making noise, I called the police. They persuaded her to go back with them to her new home. I contacted her family the next day, who were supportive. I don't regret taking that action, it got social services involved which probably should have happened long before