Needs assessment

Hopeful123

Oct 24, 2015
West yorks
Am expecting SS to contact me shortly to arrange date for a needs assessment. We are 8 years down the line & not on any one’s radar(except diagnosis- mixed dementia in Jan 2015) so do not know what to expect they will come up with. Am I right in thinking they will ask about OH’s savings & income? Will they want to know about mine? Is there a certain number of weeks respite I could be offered? Any help with information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, hopeful 123

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
They should not talk finances until after the assessment, and yours will never be in the equation at all, so don't worry. They should not just give the cared for a needs assessment, but also a carers assessment to you - you're entitled to it by law. There are no hard or fast rules on what you can expect - support often depends on how much money is in the pot for it, and every council treats respite weeks differently. But there is no harm in asking for things!

It would be a good idea to prepare yourself by writing down what you do on a daily basis, what he needs help with and what would really help you both. There are things like respite, a day care centre, carers, befrienders, telecare gadgets or OTs checking out your home and providing you with grabrails, shower boards or bed levers - whatever they deem necessary. The more you know exactly what you want, the more helpful it will be. Don't hesitate in starting high - you can always negotiate down a little. Tell it like it is and don't make things appear better than they are. They don't want to know the things you cope beautifully with, but the problems you need help with.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @Hopeful123
The SW should not talk about savings and finances in a needs assessment - this should come later after they have identified his needs and agreed what help is needed. Your own savings should not be considered at any point.

The sort of things that can be offered are carers coming in to help with dressing/undressing and washing/showing/bathing. Often this is twice a ay to help with getting them up and then getting them ready for bed in the evening. They might also help with serving meals and giving medication if hes on his own. Day care might also be discussed. Eventually, of course, a care home might be the only option, but usually they try everything else first before they will even consider this. What exactly might be agreed depends entirely on what sort of help he needs - which in turn depends on exactly how far advanced the dementia is and where he is having problems.

Before the assessment think about what sort of things you are finding difficult and could do with some help.

Hopeful123

Oct 24, 2015
West yorks
Thank you Beate, Karaoke Pete & Canary. I have taken on board all your information and hope I will be prepared & ready for the assessment. Not very good at talking about my feelings at the mo, bit of a ‘wet lettuce’ but intend to write everything down so hopefully that will give the SS person a good idea of the situation I am in. Hopeful 123