Needs assessment, anonymity and timeframe

Steve21

Apr 9, 2024
Hi, I want to get a needs assessment done for my mum who has dementia, she's currently going through formal dementia diagnosis.

I want to forewarn Social Services about concerns I have about mum's living situation which is more or less controlled my brother. My first question is, will I be able to do this before they actually turn up, eg. via email? Also, if I do forewarn them, will they keep my views confidential from my brother? Lastly, how long do these assessments usually take to happen?

Many thanks!

DeeCee7

Oct 13, 2023
Hello @Steve21 I am sorry to hear your mum is going through a formal dementia diagnosis, but this will be helpful in that once this is done, you will be able to apply for help with carers and Attendance Allowance, Council Tax disregard etc.
Does your mum live with your brother, perhaps you could tell us a little more about her situation and why you have concerns about your brother so that we can advise.
Do either you or your brother hold LPAs for Health and or Finance?
I would advise phoning the Alzheimers helpline to discuss your concerns.
Good luck, and do come back and post again.
If you need dementia support, we’re here for you. Get personalised information, support and advice by calling us on 0333 150 3456 lines open at 9am

SherwoodSue

Jun 18, 2022
Please be aware that you can go to your local police for advice
Explain you have an adult safeguarding issue a friend did this and found they were interested kind and helpful

Spottydog

Dec 8, 2023
I would suggest that you are present when the needs assessment takes place so you can give input as necessary.