Need advice/support please...

Moodal25

May 11, 2019
Hi all
I'm looking for some advice and support regarding my mum. She is 79 years old and I think is showing early signs of dementia which I'm finding really hard to deal with and would really appreciate some advice. For the past 4 months she hasn't been herself, she has various health issues eg high blood pressure but her mental health has become increasing a concern. Initially I thought it was depression as she seemed to be very sad and down but also not 'present' when talking to her sometimes. The doctor put her on mild antidepressants which seemed to help a little after about 4 weeks, but I've noticed some signs over past few weeks which a couple of people have told me may be early signs of dementia. For example, she gets very easily flustered and seems to lose her hearing/ hears something different to what I've said then is very confused when I correct her. She has occasional moments where she seems to completely zone out and forget where she is, what's going on.....she comes round after a few minutes and doesn't seem to acknowledge what happened. She also seems to forget recent conversations. She has started to overreact to quite minor things and has become very bewildered with change - even minor. All of these signs are sporadic and she does not seem to acknowledge them which I'm finding really hard to deal with.
Can anyone give me some guidance as to whether this sounds like signs of dementia and how I should approach it with her.
Thanks in advance
Moodal25

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Keep a diary of the things that concern you and make an appointment with her GP. Go with her and give the GP the list discreetly. There could be physical reasons for her problems but best to get this tested.

Moodal25

May 11, 2019
Keep a diary of the things that concern you and make an appointment with her GP. Go with her and give the GP the list discreetly. There could be physical reasons for her problems but best to get this tested.

Thank you for your advice, yes I will do this!

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Moodal25 and welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place for information and support.

As has been said, the best thing to do in this situation is have a chat with your GP. Many treatable conditions, such as depression, stress, thyroid problems, vitamin deficiencies etc., can cause dementia like symptoms so it's important to have a check-up. Please don't cause additional stress by jumping to the immediate conclusion that it's dementia. On the other hand, if it is dementia then a diagnosis may open up support for you.

Here is a link to a Society Fact sheet about the diagnosis issue. Just click the second line to read or print the document

Assessment and diagnosis (426)
PDF printable version

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
When you make the GP appointment, to avoid worrying her (or making her reluctant to go) you could say it's an 'over 70s MOT' or that the doc wants to check how she's getting on with her depression meds. You might want to send a letter ahead of time briefly outlining your concerns, then the GP will be briefed in advance and will know how to steer the conversation - and will hopefully be tactful about it.

Moodal25

May 11, 2019
That’s really good advice thank you!

When you make the GP appointment, to avoid worrying her (or making her reluctant to go) you could say it's an 'over 70s MOT' or that the doc wants to check how she's getting on with her depression meds. You might want to send a letter ahead of time briefly outlining your concerns, then the GP will be briefed in advance and will know how to steer the conversation - and will hopefully be tactful about it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrsmagsey