Need advice about feeding

jelba

Aug 1, 2012
Huddersfield
Mum not eating or drinking very well down care home in the old care home the manager stopped us feeding and Drinking as carers had to do it we have not yet seen new manager about feeding mum nurse said it was OK to feed her as we waiting for a care plan I feel uncomfortable as I don't mind feeding her but I don't want to get into trouble either my dad feed her lunch yesterday and eat it fine and gave drink if we don't do it she will have very little and probably end up in the hospital again can't sleep with the worry not even had a induction on who who or anything I'm going for lunch today on my own and my dad wants me to feed her if carers can't we also under another area know who have not yet come to assessment on my mum welfare

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
The home my wife's in have no problem with me feeding her everyday, saves them a job and I'm not the only one that does it. I used to feed her when she was in an NHS secure assessment unit too, never had a problem
I can't see on what grounds the home could object, I still help changing my wife's pad too.
K

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @jelba
I guess you will already be with your mum so I hope the carers are of some help
that's what I would do, personally, ask that a carer feed your mum and watch what the carer does - if it goes well you can take over if you wish or try the same approach another time
it is the responsibility of the staff to undertake this task for your mum - don't feel that you have to do anything that you are not comfortable with - on the other hand, if you are happy to, go ahead
do have a chat with the senior on duty and say what is worrying you - I find the staff in dad's home appreciate it when family talk with them and have been kind and helpful to me; after all we're all part of the team supporting our parent