Mystery pain...any ideas? (102 yr old)

avocadofruit

Apr 20, 2016
ahhh, help! It's 8am here and for the last hour my gramma has been repeating "it...hurts..." over and over again.

I'm not a doctor and have no way to assess her...anyone have any ideas of what to look for?

She just got back from hospital last night & we really needed more help then...
I tried to feed her Ensure, with a straw, she was laying on her side with her head propped up a bit. Do you think a little could have gone into the lungs and hurt her somehow? I really have no idea...it didn't seem that way, but I'm just searching for ideas here!

Ahh. Really need an on-call doctor to ask these questions to, this really sucks.

(thanks for listening...)

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
I tried to feed her Ensure, with a straw, she was laying on her side with her head propped up a bit. Do you think a little could have gone into the lungs and hurt her somehow?

If she had taken some into her lungs she would be coughing and struggling to breathe. It may simply be the position she is lying in but if it doesn't resolve then give the Dr a call.

I hope it does resolve and she is comfortable again soon.

Best wishes
Sue:)

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi avocadofruit
is she able to touch where it hurts to show you?
is she just saying this or moaning or shouting or screaming, could be an indicator of how much 'hurt' there is - though with dad I get a major drama just cos a nail has scraped his skin when I'm undoing a shirt button, all is exaggerated
do you think the length of time is an indicator that something is wrong - or does she sometimes repeat as a habit?
when dad says something hurts I gently stroke each arm, leg ... and watch his face, if he winces there is something to go on, if he pulls away there's definitely something
sometimes it's suggested to try 2 paracetomol, if meds don't preclude this
and if she continues, definitely speak to a medic - we have a 111 service here which isn't an immediate emergency call out, they listen and assess and can then judge that an ambulance is needed or arrange an on-call GP visit
can you chat with her GP?

sorry asking more questions than anything - so will stop

best wishes to both of you

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Sometimes calling out in pain is really just a way of saying "I'm sad" or " Is there anyone there" or just that ( as my kids used to say when they felt wrong) " my there hurts":confused::confused::eek:

Try giving her a spoonful of junior Ibruprofen or Liquid Paracetamol.....unless she is allergic...the Calpol type of stuff. It is easier to swallow than the tablets.
Give her a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel to cuddle.
Sit and hold her hands.
If she will let you, try rubbing her tummy gently using a circular motion. It may be that she has wind or constipation.

If none of the above helps then try ringing her GP.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kathy T