My wife has vascular dementia

Are you OK

Feb 15, 2017
Essex
It was a really early onset at about 58. She is fading fast.

She doesn’t have Alzheimer’s. Alzheimers is a totally different illness to vascular dementia.

A society focussed on a totally different illness is no use to me whatsoever.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
my husband has vascular dementia and there are quite a few members with it or caring or have cared for someone with it so not all about alzheimers. its caused in a different way, presents in a different way and tends to affect different aspects but you are still losing skills, memory problems are still there and the end is the same. give people a chance. there are many other dementias which are also mentioned and suffered here. dont dismiss the society out of hand and let us help

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Are you OK

Im sorry to hear about your wife, but I dont really understand your comment as you joined in 2017 because of your mum, so you have experienced this forum before.

The Alzheimers Society is for all types of dementia, not just Alzheimers and on this forum we have members who have/are caring for all sorts of different dementia. Whatever the problem, there will be someone who can help

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
@Are you OK, I'm so sorry that your wife is dealing with this disease at such a young age. It must be very hard for both of you.
Although the name of the organisation is the Alzheimer's Society, it and this forum is for people affected by all sorts of dementia.
Both my mother and my late mother in law have/had vascular dementia, and I agree it's presentation is very different. In my mother's case her memory was pretty good for a long term, the first noticeable symptoms were her lack of empathy for others, all conversations had to revolve around her. Even so I didn't think of that as dementia as mum had always been a bit self-centred. Later she had a total fantasy relationship with a tour rep she'd met on holiday . Again I didn't see that as dementia. It was only when she started thinking the neighbours were stealing from her that I twigged.
You'll find support here, whatever type of dementia your wife has.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
My husband has Lewy Body Dementia and the help and support I have received and continue to receive has helped me to cope with the day to day issues. So please continue to use the site to ask any questions that you have or even just to discuss how you feel.

Hermann

Sep 24, 2023
Echoing what others have said slightly, yes, Alzheimer's and Vascular dementia are different illnesses, but ultimately, if the patients live long enough, they reduce sufferers to practically the same state.

One of my parents has Vascular and the other Alzheimer's, but their illness is now so advanced that there is almost nothing to choose between them in terms of the effect it has on their behaviour and functioning. In both cases there is no language, no memory, no recognition, no powers of self-help whatsoever.

If you're under the impression that one illness is, overall, better than the other, that's sadly untrue.

Are you OK

Feb 15, 2017
Essex
To me it's simple.
Alzheimer's is just one form of dementia. So it is entirely inappropriate to lump all dementia into one illness. I have sarcoidosis of the lungs. It looks similar to lung cancer in many ways. But CRUK is no use to me because it is a totally different illness. And by a similar token, recent developments to treat the protein build up that causes Alzheimer's will be no use to our situation.
If this was a dementia society it would be different. But it's not.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Actually, it is a dementia society - its just called the Alzheimers Society and it caters for all different types of dementia. Personally, I think it should change its name to reflect that, but theres a whole other thread on here about that.......

Please be assured that on here you will find people who are caring for people with all sorts of different types of dementia, yes - even vascular, who would be able to give advice.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
To me it's simple.
Alzheimer's is just one form of dementia. So it is entirely inappropriate to lump all dementia into one illness. I have sarcoidosis of the lungs. It looks similar to lung cancer in many ways. But CRUK is no use to me because it is a totally different illness. And by a similar token, recent developments to treat the protein build up that causes Alzheimer's will be no use to our situation.
its up to you if you think its suitable. it has been invaluable to me over the last 3 years and i would rather have this. there is dementia uk that have admiral nurses which are there for the carer. he has vascular dementia but if you had an organisation for each specific dementia, it would weaken the cause and fundraising etc. maybe the organisation should highlight "and other dementias" but that doesnt mean they help any less.

Are you OK

Feb 15, 2017
Essex
Actually, it is a dementia society - its just called the Alzheimers Society and it caters for all different types of dementia. Personally, I think it should change its name to reflect that, but theres a whole other thread on here about that.......

Please be assured that on here you will find people who are caring for people with all sorts of different types of dementia, yes - even vascular, who would be able to give advice.
I am with you about the name. It should be the dementia society with sub forums for the different types of dementia..

I have had people telling me not to worry about my wife because of the new drugs that treat dementia thinking that Alzheimer's is the same as vascular. It sort of hurts a hell of a lot when I have to tell them the facts

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I am with you about the name. It should be the dementia society with sub forums for the different types of dementia..

I have had people telling me not to worry about my wife because of the new drugs that treat dementia thinking that Alzheimer's is the same as vascular. It sort of hurts a hell of a lot when I have to tell them the facts
Im not surprised.
Most people have no idea what dementia is and often think that Alzheimers is an alternative name for all types of dementia

Hermann

Sep 24, 2023
Are You OK said:
"And by a similar token, recent developments to treat the protein build up that causes Alzheimer's will be no use to our situation."
"I have had people telling me not to worry about my wife because of the new drugs that treat dementia thinking that Alzheimer's is the same as vascular. It sort of hurts a hell of a lot when I have to tell them the facts".

In spite of my best efforts to disabuse you of the notion, you do still seem to be labouring under an illusion that people are more fortunate if they get Alzheimer's rather than Vascular Dementia.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
A society focussed on a totally different illness is no use to me whatsoever.
With respect, that's just not true. As there are people here caring for others with various types of dementia (including the rare ones) I think you'll find that whatever issues/problems you come up against, there will be someone here who can advise.

Sadly, most types of dementia end up the same way - that's certainly the case with both Alzheimer's and vascular dementia. My own mother was - finally - diagnosed with mixed dementia, i.e. both Alzheimer's and vascular. Who is to say which illness caused which symptoms?

And of course, issues involving legalities, funding, and the difficulties of caring, etc, are exactly the same.

jay6

Jun 25, 2023
With respect, that's just not true. As there are people here caring for others with various types of dementia (including the rare ones) I think you'll find that whatever issues/problems you come up against, there will be someone here who can advise.

Sadly, most types of dementia end up the same way - that's certainly the case with both Alzheimer's and vascular dementia. My own mother was - finally - diagnosed with mixed dementia, i.e. both Alzheimer's and vascular. Who is to say which illness caused which symptoms?

And of course, issues involving legalities, funding, and the difficulties of caring, etc, are exactly the same.
I agree. My OH has Vascular and this forum has really helped but it's obviously up to you whether or not its for you.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i have to explain the difference quite often to medical people and ss because they dont know. yes its a pain but i have the same problem with our age difference. if its not the norm, then they dont know how to act

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
I am caring for mum with vascular dementia.
This in itself is a broad term. My mum’s wasn’t caused by strokes just blood vessel damage.
I find the companionship here really helpful

jay6

Jun 25, 2023
There are over 100 different forms of dementia. maybe that's why it's so hard to understand

jackdog35

Aug 21, 2022
Nottingham
I am caring for mum with vascular dementia.
This in itself is a broad term. My mum’s wasn’t caused by strokes just blood vessel damage.
I find the companionship here really helpful
My mum also has vascular dementia caused by blood vessel damage. She was diagnosed last year. What sort of difficulties or problems have you encountered with your mum? Mine has gone downhill quite rapidly especially after being put on medication to calm her

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Hello @jackdog35

Mum’s progress has been relatively slow. Initially loss of memory and stopping doing things that were more demanding - proper cooking, voluntary work etc. Maybe 2018/9.

My Dad died in 2021 and she started to get properly confused and started to confabulate.

Since then she has struggled with processing - needs me to tell her how to do things - even how to get in and out of car etc.

She knows my face and name but will think I am her sister/ friend. Thinks her parents are still alive.

She has become incontinent with urine.

Sleeps 12/13 hours per day.

Can become agitated and anxious but with a quiet life and routine that’s minimal.

She basically watches TV, eats and enjoys car rides.

Her general personality remains intact so far….

It’s horrid isn’t it!

jackdog35

Aug 21, 2022
Nottingham
Hello @jackdog35

Mum’s progress has been relatively slow. Initially loss of memory and stopping doing things that were more demanding - proper cooking, voluntary work etc. Maybe 2018/9.

My Dad died in 2021 and she started to get properly confused and started to confabulate.

Since then she has struggled with processing - needs me to tell her how to do things - even how to get in and out of car etc.

She knows my face and name but will think I am her sister/ friend. Thinks her parents are still alive.

She has become incontinent with urine.

Sleeps 12/13 hours per day.

Can become agitated and anxious but with a quiet life and routine that’s minimal.

She basically watches TV, eats and enjoys car rides.

Her general personality remains intact so far….

It’s horrid isn’t it!
My mums memory was ok at first, I the short term memory is terrible now. She started off getting very angry and irritable at things and her personality changed and then her cognitive skills worsened so she found it difficult to cook a meal. She’s having problems with continence now and gets very anxious. Her appetite is so up and down, sometimes she won’t eat all day and other times doesn’t stop eating. She does go out with my dad but doesn’t seem to enjoy it. When she’s at home she doesn’t really do much, not even watching the tv anymore. I can honestly say I never imagined this happening to her or to our family, it’s all been such a shock