My wife has Alzheimer's and this how I feel

Rehanna

Jul 11, 2024
I wrote this to explain to my children how I feel and they suggested I should post it somewhere, so here goes:

How's Penny then OK!

How I hate that question. I know it is asked out of courtesy for Penny, and in anticipation of getting
some vague, non-committal semi-positive reply . . . . very similar in fact to the ones I give. But
really what I want to say is No, as you ask, she is not OK, she is very far from OK". I never get to
say this however because I know my eyes would fill with tears, and my mouth would start contorting to stop me crying and I'd be left feeling like a clown.

No she is not OK, she is very far from OK. She is dying a little bit more every day, although in this
inevitable trend some days are always going to be better than others. I go to see Penny as often as I
can, and with the help of the kids someone usually manages to be there for her every day. For me every visit starts with a deep breath at the front door, if I feel OK I just press the doorbell, if not I take half a tablet so I can give her that welcoming smile I know she needs.

Walking down to the resident's lounge you are never sure of the welcome you'll get.

"Hello Penny my love" as I crouch down in front of her and try to hold her hand. Sometimes it is
very hard not to have tears in your eyes when she pulls her hand away instantly from your touch,
saying your hands are too cold. She looks at you in puzzlement; she understands she knows you but is not sure from where or from when. She is wearing somebody else's clothes, clothes that you've never seen before with food stains on her top and trousers. As you talk she is looking vacantly somewhere over your shoulder. . . . . or

"Hello Penny, my love" this time her eyes light up and for a millisecond you see that flash of light
that you've known and treasured for so many years. " What are you doing here then," she says “I
haven't seen you for a while" as she pouts her lips to take the kiss I am offering. She is wearing
clothes that I remember taking from her wardrobe and putting her name on, those months ago,
a1though she sti1l has food stains on her top and trousers....or

"Hello Penny my love" touching her hand as she dozes in the chair. She wakes and a broad smile
crosses her face. She probably doesn't know I'm her husband but she seems so happy I'm there,
which in turn makes me so happy I could hug her. "Do you want to go to the dining room and sing a
few songs" she answers yes, it's always yes. In fact Penny has always answered yes to any question
that begins with “Do you want to . . ." which has made living with her so easy.

Alzheimer's however isn't Penny's only problem, as it is now pitiful to watch her struggling from
the chair to her walking aid, now her hip arthritis has become so bad. Some years ago when an X-
ray showed her arthritis had started, and at a time when I had a lot more respect for the GP service
than I do today, I asked about having a new hip and was told because of her Alzheimer's this was not an option. I was a motor dealer and he was a GP so I took his response as fact and we went on with our lives. A few years later when the arthritis was ruining her life I asked again what could be done. This time another GP says there was no medical reason why an Alzheimer's sufferer couldn't have had a new hip, but because her Alzheimer's is now so bad she probably couldn't cope with the
recuperative regime.

This time I needed conformation that it was too late. We got as far as the pre-operative assessment
at a private hospital at Newport, when during the questions Penny completely broke down in a
flood of tears saying “leave me alone I don't want anything done to me”, followed moments later by me in a flood of tears. When the Kleenexes were finally put away all present agreed the operation was no longer going to be an option. Now as I watch her struggling with even the most basic movements I am left with that haunting feeling that this is partly down to me as with a different attitude years ago I could have changed things so much for the better. You live with this fact because you have to live with it but your heart still sinks each time you watch her struggling. Just another guilt to add to the agonising guilt that it was me who put her in this place to begin with.

We head towards the dining room with Penny taking tiny pigeon steps with her walking aid. She stares down at the space in front of her, moving as slowly as any movement can get, hesitating at every crease or shadow on the floor as if they were traps set to ensnare her. It's a sad sight - there is so little left now of that vivacious spirit that once made Penny shine.

Thankfully the dining room is always quiet at this time and you're left in peace to try and get Penny
from her walking aid into a chair. No mean feat as she holds onto the handles of the aid as if her life
depended on it. Luckily in the dining room you can move the chairs to make sitting easier. And
after a few choruses of "no, no, no,....I can't, I can't, I can't" we are both finally seated with my
ipad on the table in front of us packed with Youtube videos, which gives us a good choice of songs.
Penny has always loved to sing and she sings well.

Whatever mood Penny was in before, after 10 minutes or so she is usually visibly relaxed, singing
along to the songs she knows. She knows lots of songs all the way through, some she only heard a
couple of years ago after the Alzheimer's was already well established, yet she doesn't know my
name - so how does that work! She's visibly proud when I complement her singing or the number
of songs that she knows. Sometimes she will look at you when she sings a certain pertinent line and it will make your heart skip. Sometimes she's complimented by other visitors who have also come in to use the dining room and have listened in, asking will we be back the same time next week? More smiles . .. for an hour or so we can just sit and enjoy each other's company, which normal people can do all the time.

Going back to her seat in the lounge isn't as easy as coming out. It's later, the staff are busy trying to
get patients into pyjamas, and there is an inevitable tension in the air as they try and get this done.
Penny has more difficulty leaving the walking aid and getting back into the chair, as this time you can't move the chair to help, she gets frustrated and sometimes she's on the point of being angry. Sometimes very angry. And if she's not back in the row that she usually sits in then things are twice as bad. Al1 this doesn't happen independently, it's played out to a backdrop of other residents all with their own troubles, but who won't move an inch to help and there are feet everywhere

Sometimes you feel you that you are getting nowhere but in the end she's there in her chair. Leaving her though is another story, she will never smile, sometimes she will just look ahead as you kiss her forehead and say you will see her tomorrow. At other times she will really not understand why she's being left there and you are going away and will put her face in her hands and cry uncontrollably. It breaks your heart but there is nothing you can do in a crowded room but give her a kiss and walk away. The TV is on but people are looking not watching. I walk to the exit avoiding
pyjama-clad patients wandering about aimlessly on their zimmer frames, someone is shouting for the toilet and getting louder and louder, somebody else is shouting because they can, two more are arguing over a chair in the smaller lounge where most of the other patients are semi-comatose, and I'm leaving Penny behind to endure all this while I go home. To have and to hold in sickness and in health until death do us part.

There is no saying how I'll feel getting back to the car either, if things have gone well I'll just let out a sigh of relief and turn on the music, if not I'll have to take the other half of my tablet to calm down. Occasionally I will be crying into my hands saying I can't do this any more, and no amount of tablets will help that and I'll stop on the way home in a pub for a drink.

But tomorrow I'11be back and we'll start this all over again.

Hows Penny then OK?

Yes she's fine.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Well hello and welcome from me Rehanna and I'm sure us all.
Sadly serious medical operations and AZ don't go together too well, sorry to say that that's my experience.
Something over 10 years on the site here caring for both my now late wife and mum too all 3 of us former NHS nurses, operation with any form of dementia can be risky.
A hip replacement is a big operation and mobility and physiotherapy after too, as I say I'm sorry to say I agree with the medics on this one, others may have a different opinion. K

JaxG

May 15, 2021
Beautifully written. I share you frustration, the times people have said 'he doesn't seem too bad'. What.. having a terminal disease where you lose your mind 'isn't too bad'? I think that others don't want to know the truth, they want to salve their conscience so they can walk away and continue with their lives. My brother in law says he's concerned, but has been 'too busy' to visit his brother regularly. He never calls me to find out the truth of his brother's condition and is now surprised that he's going into permanent care. This ignorance makes life so much more lonely.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Such a poignant post @Rehanna. Thank you so much for sharing it.

Your love shines through what you have written. I wish you strength as you continue giving Penny all your love and care.

sue2108

May 9, 2023
Such a heartfelt post @Rehanna I’m sobbing as I read it. People ask me all the time How is he? But they don’t really want to know do they. They want everything to be fine and lovely. They say I’m amazing because I take him about everywhere with me but they don’t see what happens at home - I’m lucky that he still highly functional and as long as I’m around things are fine.
I’ve started saying to people “ well it’s progressing and it’s hard” and some don’t know what to say ….maybe they will stop asking ….it’s lonely. Hold on to those precious times when she does respond to you and know that you have done your best for her.
Look after yourself too. My thoughts are with you x

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Wow @Rehanna - what a powerful post. Your feelings so so true of many of us that have had to do, or are now doing, exactly that. It resonates so with me visiting my dear Mum, and 'girding my loins' for what to see and expect at todays visit. You paint a picture that many of us will and do identify with. Thank you for posting.
I wish you continued strength as you continue your visits - and please remember it's OK to not be OK. (Sorry if that sounds a bit cliche'ish) On this forum you can certainly reach out for support, as people here understand. Take care.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I often read and don't comment, but your post doesn't deserve that.

Beautifully written, perfectly expressed.

I was one of the 'lucky' ones - mum was always happy to see me, never sad or angry and always understood I had to go home to my children (although they got younger as she got older).

But most of the person mum was was gone when she was in early stages at the point of diagnosis.

As you say people want a nice answer to a polite question. I was very non committal but often said she's doing as well as can be expected for someone with dementia.

Calon Lan

May 21, 2024
Hello @Rehanna

Thank you for posting such an honest, courageous and deeply moving account of your feelings.

Your description of Penny singing was especially poignant for me as my mum also loves singing. She has Alzheimer’s and vascular dementia. She has lived in a nursing home for just over a year.

My mum’s response to singing sounds very similar to Penny’s. My mum is happy and relaxed when she is singing. I think it also gives her a sense of pride and achievement when so much is slipping away from her.

I find “that question” very difficult. I am not good at giving a reassuring answer. My close friends now get it and they have stopped asking me. I’m very grateful to them for that.

Sending you my thoughts and best wishes.

Rehanna

Jul 11, 2024
Thanks Calon Lan, sharing with people who have experienced this horrible disease is some comfort because other people really, really don't know what sufferers and families are going through and a sympathetic nod doesn't go very far. My best wishes to you as well.

Rehanna

Jul 11, 2024
Well hello and welcome from me Rehanna and I'm sure us all.
Sadly serious medical operations and AZ don't go together too well, sorry to say that that's my experience.
Something over 10 years on the site here caring for both my now late wife and mum too all 3 of us former NHS nurses, operation with any form of dementia can be risky.
A hip replacement is a big operation and mobility and physiotherapy after too, as I say I'm sorry to say I agree with the medics on this one, others may have a different opinion. K
Thanks but I think my guilt will last a long time.

Rehanna

Jul 11, 2024
Beautifully written. I share you frustration, the times people have said 'he doesn't seem too bad'. What.. having a terminal disease where you lose your mind 'isn't too bad'? I think that others don't want to know the truth, they want to salve their conscience so they can walk away and continue with their lives. My brother in law says he's concerned, but has been 'too busy' to visit his brother regularly. He never calls me to find out the truth of his brother's condition and is now surprised that he's going into permanent care. This ignorance makes life so much more lonely.
Thank you.

Rehanna

Jul 11, 2024
Wow @Rehanna - what a powerful post. Your feelings so so true of many of us that have had to do, or are now doing, exactly that. It resonates so with me visiting my dear Mum, and 'girding my loins' for what to see and expect at todays visit. You paint a picture that many of us will and do identify with. Thank you for posting.
I wish you continued strength as you continue your visits - and please remember it's OK to not be OK. (Sorry if that sounds a bit cliche'ish) On this forum you can certainly reach out for support, as people here understand. Take care.
Thank you.

Rehanna

Jul 11, 2024
I often read and don't comment, but your post doesn't deserve that.

Beautifully written, perfectly expressed.

I was one of the 'lucky' ones - mum was always happy to see me, never sad or angry and always understood I had to go home to my children (although they got younger as she got older).

But most of the person mum was was gone when she was in early stages at the point of diagnosis.

As you say people want a nice answer to a polite question. I was very non committal but often said she's doing as well as can be expected for someone with dementia.
Thank you.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I was in the care home with you @Rehanna.

I don`t always read very long posts because my eyes get tired but I didn`t miss a word of yours, only they were a little blurred, reading through my tears. Tears for you and Penny , for myself and my husband and for everyone else who has to experience this ordeal.

We are all OK. We have to be, but OK is relative isn`t it? Our OK means we are surviving.

Love to you and Penny.

2ndAlto

Nov 23, 2012
My heart breaks for you @Rehanna and for us all. When people ask how John is I know they are asking with the best kindness to me but I can't answer with anything other than "he's OK" because I just can't cope with sympathy and would dissolve if I had to answer more honestly. Though... thinking about it, he is relatively OK - he has very little comprehension of what is going on - it is me that is struggling as I look towards the rest of our lives and the mountain I'm trying to climb.

NickP

Feb 23, 2021
@Rehanna - what a beautifully written piece - I am in tears reading it. So much of it is so much like visiting my dad in his care home. You never know what you're going to get. It really is so important to take the good days, the happy days, the little looks of recognition and treasure them.
People who haven't experienced this dreadful disease and its devastating impact on a person and their family, really don't undestand - I have often said before this happened to Dad I didn't really know what Alzheimer's does to people and certainly didn't know what it does to familiy members... so i can't blame them, but it doesn't make it any easier to repeatedly hear, 'how's your Dad doing?' or, in the earlier stages, 'he seems ok to us.'
I really hope you find support here on this brilliant forum, where people (sadly) genuinely do know what it's like. Your love for Penny shines through in your post - keep treasuring those positive moments and stay strong. Take Care.

SkyeD

Oct 3, 2022
I've also just read your post and cried @Rehanna - beautifully written and your love is clearly shining through. As others have said, many of us have been in this position, many still are. It's very hard-going but at least we have each other for support.
Take care,
S x

Feeling unsupported

Jul 9, 2021
I could almost have written this myself (although not as beautifully, I'm sure). I think you echo the experiences of so many on here. How is mum? they ask..."well, she's still lying in the same bed she's been in for 2 years, I think she's ok, but she can't tell me, she doesn't smile and rarely opens her eyes, so how do I know?" I'm not sure that's the answer they want to hear. Very rarely, someone asks how 'I' am and that would be so nice. Yes, I feel scared and panicky when I visit the home and then like you I think 'how can I have left mum locked in here for the last 3 years?' No matter how hard we try the guilt is relentless. We know we are doing the best we can for our loved ones, but it is so emotionally difficult.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I really am one of the lucky ones as those people who ask how my husband is have been with me since his diagnosis and his cardiac arrest. They have never met him but their concern is genuinely for me and I can always give an honest answer. They have all experienced major losses and I don’t have to pretend that everything is OK.

Rehanna

Jul 11, 2024
I was in the care home with you @Rehanna.

I don`t always read very long posts because my eyes get tired but I didn`t miss a word of yours, only they were a little blurred, reading through my tears. Tears for you and Penny , for myself and my husband and for everyone else who has to experience this ordeal.

We are all OK. We have to be, but OK is relative isn`t it? Our OK means we are surviving.

Love to you and Penny.
Thanks for the reply, I am reading it through tears at the moment!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leigh3000