My Step Dad has AD

Paul141

Jan 8, 2014
Stratford On Avon
Hi everyone, I am a new member, and just wanted to write a message and maybe gain some advice from those who have experience of dealing with AD.

My Step Dad (SD) (aged 67) has had this condition for circa 2 years, and it was formerly diagnosed about 8 months ago. My brother and I do not live at home its just my mom and SD, but we do speak to them a couple of times a week.

I am not close to either of them, due to past issues. Over the last 4 months he seems to have declined rapidly. I see them both maybe once a year, and saw them last at Xmas, I was shocked at what I saw. He used to be a strong man and physically very fit (worked for the post office for 42 years before retiring), I looked at him and his face was vacant. Conversation was difficult, and I felt uncomfortable.

Saturday just gone my mom called me at 8pm to tell me he had gone missing. I drove over to my parents house, he had walked 2 doors away from his home to buy a newspaper and not gone back. My mom and Uncle searched the surrounding area, and after a 1 hour fruitless search called the Police. The police scrambled a helicoptor, and deployed officers on the ground to look for him. He was eventually found at an old address we lived at 30 years ago, some 4 miles away. He was lost for just over 5 hours. Mom is contacting social services to speak to them for guidance today. I looked at him when the police brought him home Saturday evening, and i felt such saddness to see him so cold and frail, and oblivious to his surroundings. When the police spoke to him, he struggled to string a sentence together.

Mom is stubborn and very proud and had not told me and my brother how bad things were. On Saturday night she told us everyhing, my SD can become aggresive, he starts to put himself away half way though having a wee. He pulls at patterns in the living room carpet, he counts things in his hands when they are empty. He doesnt know who she is half the time. Mom has suffered from poor health many years, and I dont know how much more she can take.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Hi Paul,

Welcome to TP. I can well undertstand how difficult this situation must be for you. It is difficult enough for people who have to care for someone they love but when it's someone with whom you have had past issues and to whom you do not feel close, it is even harder in some ways.

It may well be that your SD needs to be in a care home, particularly in view of the aggressionhe has displayed. You need to have some serious conversations with your mum, trying to get her to see the reality of the sitiation she is in and to determine how she sees the situation being improved.

You and she would probably benefit from contacting your nearset Alzheimer's Society branch and talking over the issues with a support worker.

Admiral Nurses are also an excellent source of advice:

http://www.dementiauk.org/what-we-do/admiral-nurses/

If there aren't any operating near you, ther is a link further down the page so that you can speak to a nurse on the phone.

I'm sure other people will be along with advice and support.

Paul141

Jan 8, 2014
Stratford On Avon
Thank you

Hi stanleypj

Thanks so much for your guidance and advice.
Mom spoke to Sally at SS who was fantastic, and gave her lots of information and is arranging for a nurse to visit her twice per week to bathe my SD. Mom is also having smoke detectors fitted and an alarm on the front door.

Sally also advised my mom that there is a facility in the vicinity where people who suffer dimentia and their carers can meet up with others and have a cup of tea and a bite to eat (what a wonderful facility). Here they also play games and carers can talk to each other about their situation and their expereinces.

Sally from SS was so good with my mom and came across as caring, sensitive and helpful. Praise where its due I feel.:)

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Good to hear this Paul.

I agree that SS should be credited where credit is due. We often read about the failings of some SS departments but I'm sure there are many, many social workers who have a real vocation and are trying to do their best in increasingly difficult circumstances.

Paul141

Jan 8, 2014
Stratford On Avon
It just gets worse......

Ever had one of those days when all you want to do is cry? Silly question really because I am sure you all have.

Well I havent posted anything for 5 months now. My SD was receiving care (couple of days per week), and mom was doing well looking after him (or so I thought), however since Friday she has been in respite centre, due to the fact that she had a nervous breakdown.

I didnt realise that my SD had detiorated as much as he has (mom always told me on the phone he was doing well, and yes it was hard but she was coping). 10 days ago my SD became incontinent (later found that he has a UTI), and has been admitted to hospital for treatment. Mom was at home on her own and I called her every day, and my brother visited her every other day. She and my uncle (SD's brother) were visiting my SD in hospital, and he was doing well. I called her last Friday, and she was talking in strange way on the phone, and when I asked her what was wrong she hung up, when I called back she refused to take my call. I left work and drove the 40 miles to her house (my brother was already there), when I walked in to the house I was amazed, she has written down her innermost thoughts and feelings on paper and covered every inch of carpet in the house, I tried to talk to her, but she was nasty and extremely aggressive. I picked the paper up to read it, and she became really angry, to the point where she kicked me out, she kept talking all the time and saying she had failed my SD, and let him down, and was sorry she couldnt cope any more. (My SD cannot recognise people around him anymore, cannot feed himself, and falls over alot).

I called my SD's mental health carer, and he visited, he ascertained that my mom has had some from of a mental breakdown. So as it stands my SD is in hospital and my mom in a respite centre, as I write this I find myself saddened as how this has all come crashing down, in such a small space of time.

My mom cannot cope with my SD, so after much discussion, as a family we have decided (my mom included), that his health and welfare will be better looked after if he goes into full time care.

Now as a family we need to pull together and help my mom through her own troubles, when I sat with her on Friday, and looked at how old and frail she has become in the last 5 months, it broke my heart.

I am not close to my SD, and by god when I was a child I used to fear him, but when I look at him now, I feel sad to see only a shell left and not the feisty and fiery man that used to be there.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.

Paul

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Hello Paul, just wanted to say I have read your sad post-no advice to offer, just empathy and am so sorry your mum has had a breakdown:(
Would just like to give you a big hug and please let us know how things are with mum, SD and of course you and your family.
Take care
Chris x

Paul141

Jan 8, 2014
Stratford On Avon
My SD has passed away.

Its been a long time since I posted on the forum, due to the fact that life sometimes takes over the day-to-day stuff.

My SD passed away on 18.02.15. I dont know what to say really. The only thing I can say is that thank god took him away from the pain and misery he felt towards the end.

After he passed I sat and held his hand and talked to him (whilst I was on my own), before my Mom arrived. I remember looking at his face and thinking how peaceful he now looked, the lines had gone, he somehow looked younger.

The DR signed the death certificate as cause of death: Advanced stage Alzheimer's Disease.

Too all of you who are going through this, have been through this and will go through this, my hearts go out to you, because I know what it's like.

When the undertakers took him from the Care Home, I asked them to look after him and tidy him up, in doing so giving him back the dignity and the pride this awful illness had stolen from him.

I only hope the government do the right thing, and now they have identified that reserch into Dementia is grossly under-funded, and the staffing levels are low, invest the millions of £'s required.

Funeral will be 06.03.15, my intention is to celebrate my SD's life, and all the good things he did.

When I reflect on the last 6 months in particular, I feel that my family had already started the grieving process, and we did know the end was near when he passed away, so at least we had the opportunity to say goodbye.

Paul.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Please accept my sympathy, your stepdad is at peace,

This part of your post made me cry,

(When the undertakers took him from the Care Home, I asked them to look after him and tidy him up, in doing so giving him back the dignity and the pride this awful illness had stolen from him.)

Best wishes Jeany x

Wendy7713

Aug 18, 2014
So glad your mum is now getting help. Hopefully this will be a turning point for you all.

Hi everyone, I am a new member, and just wanted to write a message and maybe gain some advice from those who have experience of dealing with AD.

My Step Dad (SD) (aged 67) has had this condition for circa 2 years, and it was formerly diagnosed about 8 months ago. My brother and I do not live at home its just my mom and SD, but we do speak to them a couple of times a week.

I am not close to either of them, due to past issues. Over the last 4 months he seems to have declined rapidly. I see them both maybe once a year, and saw them last at Xmas, I was shocked at what I saw. He used to be a strong man and physically very fit (worked for the post office for 42 years before retiring), I looked at him and his face was vacant. Conversation was difficult, and I felt uncomfortable.

Saturday just gone my mom called me at 8pm to tell me he had gone missing. I drove over to my parents house, he had walked 2 doors away from his home to buy a newspaper and not gone back. My mom and Uncle searched the surrounding area, and after a 1 hour fruitless search called the Police. The police scrambled a helicoptor, and deployed officers on the ground to look for him. He was eventually found at an old address we lived at 30 years ago, some 4 miles away. He was lost for just over 5 hours. Mom is contacting social services to speak to them for guidance today. I looked at him when the police brought him home Saturday evening, and i felt such saddness to see him so cold and frail, and oblivious to his surroundings. When the police spoke to him, he struggled to string a sentence together.

Mom is stubborn and very proud and had not told me and my brother how bad things were. On Saturday night she told us everyhing, my SD can become aggresive, he starts to put himself away half way though having a wee. He pulls at patterns in the living room carpet, he counts things in his hands when they are empty. He doesnt know who she is half the time. Mom has suffered from poor health many years, and I dont know how much more she can take.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
My condolences Paul. Glad you SD is at peace and that you were able to see this so clearly.

Your plans for the funeral sound just right.

I hope you will now be able to carry on supporting your mum and looking after yourself at this difficult time.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Your feelings do you credit especially given a less than perfect relationship with him. Well done for your forgiving nature.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keeley Jade