My relative's doctor won't talk to us

jollygardener

Mar 7, 2018
My elderly mother is showing increasing signs of the onset of some form of dementia. She has previously given written permission for her GP to share information with the family if we are concerned, but the GP is very reluctant to talk to us. Is there any way to get an assessment that doesn't involve going through the GP in the first instance? If anyone has had a similar experience I'd appreciate some guidance.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
My mum's letter to her gp gives them permission to talk to me, named in the letter and it has worked. The other thing to do is go to appointments with your mother and when there remind them of the letter on file, or write another one giving more specific instructions. Is it possible though that on one of her visits she asked the gp not to talk to anyone else? Or maybe gp is holding back until he has a report from memory clinic, has she been referred to memory clinic?

Assessments outside of the nhs are possible, but very expensive

jollygardener

Mar 7, 2018
My mum's letter to her gp gives them permission to talk to me, named in the letter and it has worked. The other thing to do is go to appointments with your mother and when there remind them of the letter on file, or write another one giving more specific instructions. Is it possible though that on one of her visits she asked the gp not to talk to anyone else? Or maybe gp is holding back until he has a report from memory clinic, has she been referred to memory clinic?

Assessments outside of the nhs are possible, but very expensive

jollygardener

Mar 7, 2018
I agree that the only way is going to be to accompany Mum to the GP because, as you suggest, she may have been causing a muddle by withdrawing consent. All very difficult as I live 320 miles away!

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
If you want to make sure your GP will talk to you about your mother, get health & welfare LPA and lodge a copy with the surgery. That gives you the legal right to act on her behalf.