My partner has Alzheimer's

GrannyJan

Mar 1, 2022
Northumberland
Hi all,

My partner of nearly 50 years has Alzheimer's , we've had lots of ups and downs over the past 2 years ( since diagnosis, although I suspected long before it was confirmed).
Tonight he rang his friend to say he'd been locked out of our home and couldn't get in ( he was inside at the time). When I went to help him he was convinced this wasn't his home and he didn't know where he was but didn't like it. This has happened before, I made him tea and toast and managed to settle him eventually. I'm writing this thread as I've coped with everything but now feel I am going to need more emotional support/ advice from fellow carers as each day throws up a new challenge. Is this something others have dealt with ?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @GrannyJan.

I’m so sorry to read about your husband. It must have been very distressing. You did well to settle him. I wonder if this had been an episode of sundowning -

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-dementia/symptoms-and-diagnosis/symptoms/sundowning

Another possibility is that your husband might have a urinary tract infection. I know from my husband and my mum that UTIs had a dreadful impact on their dementia. It might be an idea to see if you can get this checked out just in case.

It’s really good that you’ve found this forum. You’ve come to the right place for emotional support and understanding.