My neighbor lives alone with dementia and denies help

bluebell376

May 28, 2022
Hello!
I’ve grown up in the same building my entire life, and a very energetic, albeit not always kind woman lives on the first floor right by the elevator. She would always stand by the elevator with the door open and talk with the rest of our neighbors, so she is well known within our building as one of the oldest residents, having lived here for so long. She has 2 sons and only one that visits her for a bit about once a week. They live a few blocks away and bike to the building, but only really drop by about 30 mins once a week before departing.
The last few months, she’s been acting incredibly strangely. She’s been taking loaves of bread and throwing slices onto her doorstep in front of the elevator to “feed to pigeons” (this is inside a Queens apartment in NYC), wearing shoes on the wrong foot, stuffing toilet paper up her nose, wearing her clothes entirely wrong, talking gibberish, and crying and screaming at random. She also no longer remembers who I am and keeps asking why people are afraid of her and attests that she is fine. She clearly isn’t though, she has lost an immense amount of weight and gone from a bright feisty woman to a shell. I’m not really sure what to do, as she clearly has family checking up on her, but I worry they aren’t clear on the situation as they don’t see her that often, and there are moments where she seems relatively “normal”. I don’t want to be insensitive and breech a topic that might not be any of my business, so do I just keep myself out of it?

Tldr: I suspect my neighbor has dementia. She has family visiting her once a week, but I worry for her well-being at this stage, especially as she is living alone. Do I intervene, if so, how? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
When mum got to this stage and was refusing all help it was difficult for me to take things further as in UK it is difficult to do things against their expressed wishes unless they are at risk, so I asked the neighbours to report their concerns to Social Services. We are in UK, though, and the duty of care in UK resides with Social Services. I dont know how appropriate this advice would be to you as you are in US and I dont know how Social Services works there. Maybe you could write a letter explaining your concerns about this lady and pass it to the son when he next visits.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire

Hello and welcome to the forum @bluebell376. I have no idea what is available in America re care and support for someone with dementia. It might be useful to take a look at the above link. Do you feel you could approach one of her sons and tell him of your concerns. The poor lady seems very confused.

DreamsAreReal

Oct 17, 2015
New York State has an “Office for the Ageing” . There’s a web site and a helpline number on there to call for advice. I think this lady needs help, the crying and screaming would suggest she’s confused at best. I think you’re very kind to be concerned about her.

If it were me, I’d phone the help line and ask them what you’ve asked us, hopefully they can set your mind at rest, at least .

Let us know how you get on, this site is based in the UK, but we get posters from the U.S. and it might help someone else in the future. Best of luck x