my name is Mike, age 84, my wife has dementia and is in a care home

MIKESEYE

Feb 2, 2024
I READ ON CLEVELAND CLINIC (USA) DISTINGUISHING COVID-19 Brain Fog from DEMENTIA as my wife was dianoosed 4years ago it could have been COVID and not DEMENTIA SHE HAD A SCANE then with outcome of mild ALZHEIMERS can i now ask for a second opinion

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
You could ask for a new scan but there is no guarantee that your GP or consultant would agree to it.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
If the GP or Consultant are satisfied that your wife has dementia they would probably not agree to a scan based on an article in the Cleveland Clinic, but as I said you can ask.

Kingfisherl

Apr 27, 2024
Hello Mike 💗

You must miss your wife enormously more than any of us could possibly understand.

It isn't your fault that she is now living in a care home, you love her and you looked after her at home, probably for a few years at least and each time you go you of course want her to go home with you. You have been married for such a long time. ♥️

But wait ... think about how it was before and how it will be again. Social Services intervened as I understand from your words and they don't do that for no reason at all. I am not sure on the legalities of if a husband could do that to be fair.

If you could be nearer or your wife could be nearer to you would that be a compromise? Could you stay near to the home or stay with your wife sometimes?

Everyone here does understand so come back and chat if you need too or you can phone the helpline number from the main website and have chat with someone. I think you might find that could help talking to someone as well.
Hello Mike I really feel for u when my mother came out of hospital after one of her many falls they put in a home 45 mins away from my dad who is 87,I spoke to my social worker and said I was worried about my father travelling so far at his age with all the added stress my mother has now been moved 15mins away from my dads home he’s so much happier also my mother is more content now maybe ur children can raise their concerns with social workers

MIKESEYE

Feb 2, 2024
THANK YOU FOR REPLYS BUT I AM NOT REGISTERED WITH MY WIFES DOCTOR AND I DO NOT HAVE POA

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
You could still write to them and explain your concerns and ask them to call your wife in for a check up.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @MIKESEYE I am sorry to hear about your situation and can understand how desperately you hope that things could be different. But I am afraid that the things that you have highlighted -- brain fog, appropriateness of medication and wanting a second opinion - will make no practical difference. My wife's Alzheimer's Disease is now advanced. She has been in her care home for almost 5 years. That is not what either of us wished for but it has been the best way to ensure that she gets the care she needs and deserves. She seems relatively content and I have learned to live with the situation.

With the best will in the world, I hope that you too can come to accept what you cannot change. Once dementia takes over a person's life there's really not much more that one can do. For me, accepting my wife's situation has meant that the stress of dealing with all the issues - major and minor - related to her care and welfare is no longer my primary concern. Our relationship is inevitably changed from what it was. By being her advocate, bringing a smile to her face, feeding her treats or simply sitting with her while she dozes I know that I still have an important role to play.

I do hope that this helps you in some way. This Forum is here for you whenever you need understanding and support.

Angel55

Oct 23, 2023
💗 Hi Mike

Is that a photo of your wife on your profile ? It is hard seeing someone change so much and not having any control of anything. Do you have friends to talk to or other support, maybe not your children as their views might be different to yours.

I am not an expert but I know a friend who had no POA for her mother and had to go through the courts to have deputyship. That was a long and stressful process. You could still express your concerns with the gp though?

I keep telling myself that whilst this isn't how we want things it is pretty much the only option and I get your frustration and mine is with Dad not a partner. I wish we had a magic wand Mike on the forum and make everything okay but sending a cyber hug and hope today is a little kinder to you.

Keep posting if you find it helps someone is always listening 💗