My mum's memory

Sue42

Jul 8, 2017
My mum has recently started saying that my dad who died nearly 9 years ago is in the house with his 2 friends. She is saying that she hasn't actually seen him or spike to him but that he is there and leaves about 530 in the morning. All her other faculties are fine. She cooks and cleans for herself and even though she has problems with her leg she still does her own shopping. I am ok with her believing in what she does if it helps her but my sister is worried . My mum will be78 this year. Any advice please

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Hello Sue, and welcome. Delusions can certainly be a symptom with dementia, as can paranoia and both visual and auditory hallucinations. What your mum seems to have would come more under a delusion (a firm belief that something is so, even though she neither sees or hears anything to back up her belief) whereas with hallucinations, the person believes whatever it is to be so, because they are seeing or hearing the "evidence". Although, sometimes the person knows that they are hallucinating, and that what they are seeing is not real. However, it doesn't necessarily follow that what your mum is experiencing is caused by dementia.

I would mention the situation to your mum's doctor, who could call her in for a "routine check up." and take it from there. If it should turn out that your mum is developing Alzheimer's Disease, or one of the other dementias, then perhaps it would be appropriate for the doctor to start her on one of the medications that can, in the early stages, slow the progression of the illness. And besides, forewarned is forearmed. What is a benign, non threatening delusion today could turn in a twinkling to something that is terrifying for your mum. At least you would have her doctor alerted.

Sue42

Jul 8, 2017
Thankyou

Thankyou it's nice to be able to talk to someone who understands

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi Sue42
I don't really have anything to add to what LadyA has written - I agree that it's worth letting her GP know about her situation, especially if your sister is concerned
and you may want to consider arranging for Powers of Attorney for your mum, they're worth doing for any adult 'just in case'
so a warm welcome to TP, whatever is or isn't going on with your mum, this is safe and sympathetic place to write whatever is on your mind
best wishes