My mum (:

nat123

Oct 18, 2014
Hiya. My 67 year old mum was diagnosed with alzheimers two days ago, i feel like i'm in shock. She has been on anti-depressant's for many years down to anxiety, and i thought she was just being an older battier version of her usual batty self, how did i get it so wrong. Now i know i can see it. At her appointment she was given a score of 11 out of 27, does anybody know what this represents? She is scared and upset, saying that there's no point doing her hair, or face cream's, or going out anymore, even spoke of killing herself yesterday, though i know that she would never do that to her family. I'm so scared for her, and my siblings, and our children, her beloved grandchildren, i don't know what to do or think. Apologies for going on xxx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello nat

Please give yourselves some time to absorb the shock of this diagnosis.

I can`t tell you exactly what the test score means, I thought that test, if it was the MMSE [ Mini Mental State Examination ] had a score of 30 rather than 27 so it could be a different test. My husband scored 23/30 when he was first diagnosed.

It might help you to read some of the Alzheimer`s Society`s Factsheets, starting with After a diagnosis.

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=122

Benrese

Apr 12, 2014
Lancashire
Hiya Nat,

Oh my goodness, you both will be in shock indeed! It's never easy and it does take time as Granny G says.

Of course the first thing which comes to mind is the fear and the idea that "It's all over and must be the end!" It's a natural response to a very intimidating diagnosis.

Others will be along to share their wisdom and experience. What will be important for you is to learn all you can. Knowledge and understanding can help chase those bully shadows away for both you and your Mum.

There are folks here who post all the time and they have dementia, themselves! They live productive lives and are looking forward. There are others who have family members who are further progressed.

For your Mum, it's all about trying to stay in the day. There is every reason to get that face cream on and fix her hair! There is even better reason to go get a new outfit, in my opinion!

You and your mum will not be alone. If you reach out, you will be met by many hands and shoulders. I can honestly say I don't know what I would have done without TP and all the good people who post and volunteer as well.

Keep coming and asking questions and sharing your feelings. Each of us has a new "normal" at this forum. There is hope.

Take good care,

henfenywfach

May 23, 2013
rct
sending best wishes

Hiya. My 67 year old mum was diagnosed with alzheimers two days ago, i feel like i'm in shock. She has been on anti-depressant's for many years down to anxiety, and i thought she was just being an older battier version of her usual batty self, how did i get it so wrong. Now i know i can see it. At her appointment she was given a score of 11 out of 27, does anybody know what this represents? She is scared and upset, saying that there's no point doing her hair, or face cream's, or going out anymore, even spoke of killing herself yesterday, though i know that she would never do that to her family. I'm so scared for her, and my siblings, and our children, her beloved grandchildren, i don't know what to do or think. Apologies for going on xxx

firstly I am sorry youre having to deal with alzheimers . You didn't miss it when you though something else was happening..im sure your head was telling you it was something else and maybe your stomach now and again niggled a bit..but as humans we like to hope for the best. not every one can see it..I care for my dad and spend time with him and my mother in day and my sister who helps when she can sees someone else. It not necessarily her fault just that it takes time to see a pattern likes dislikes etc. new things that are important to them that wouldn't have been before, and things they might do in the future.
I think you are most probably in shock..and it will take time to get it to a place where you to feel you can say .. we are not going to keep sad, and we re going to tackle whatever happens head on..easier said than done , I found that but just remember that its a shock for you all.. the difference is you can cognitively judge, decide plan and try and control your feeling where as sometime someone with dementia cant.
the test are all basically the same type of tests. they are on the web if you want info..but it is just a tool to see at what level the memory , thinking , planning and maybe being able to copy a shape or find words for things. these test are considered alongside the opinions of the patients family and if further investigation is needed then they will arrange it.
there will be days where you think its an up day and there will be down days..and the only way to keep yourself informed is to read the factsheets, when you feel able to, and you will know what might happen and what symptoms can occur and get advice to help you and your mum. everyones different, every carers different, you ll work it all out. I always say life isn't over for your mum it ll just be a different life to what shes used to and you ll learn to adapt. I hope you have support from elsewhere and if not take any support offered, and keep typing on tp and ask away. good luck to you and your mum.
ps there is info for children available and very often they understand more than we do...and are very accepting and can be comforting ..good luck